San Francisco News
Bank mails credit offer to 'Lisa Is a Slut McIntire'
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- A lot of people agree that junk mail is annoying but for Lisa McIntire, a freelance writer in San Francisco, a credit card offer she recently received was downright insulting.
The letter was addressed to Lisa, but mailed to her mom's address. Her mom noticed Lisa's middle name had been replaced with "Is a Slut" and sent a text to her daughter saying an "interesting piece of junk mail" had arrived for her.
It was an offer for a Bank of America credit card from the Golden Key International Honour Society. And the mean-spirited middle name wasn't just on the envelope, it was on the letter inside as well.
Armed with pictures of the letter, McIntire turned to the internet and tweeted Bank of America about the glaring mistake.
The bank responded to her tweet saying, "We're incredibly sorry this happened and are researching now so we can take the appropriate action. We will follow-up with you ASAP."
Golden Key also sent McIntire a tweet that read, "We're so sorry this has occurred. We are investigating and will reach out to you personally soon."
According to McIntire's Twitter feed, she did get a call from Golden Key's vice president of communications and was told the offensive language was added to her account sometime between 2004 and 2008, and that they were continuing to investigate.
McIntire also tweeted that she heard from Bank of America and said the bank was very apologetic and taking responsibility for what happened.
The outrageous story got a little more interesting when Golden Key tweeted again saying the mistake was actually on their end -- not on their partner Bank of America's end. They acknowledged that McIntire has been a valued member of their organization since 2000 -- but misspelled her last name on the statement.
McIntire declined an interview on Thursday tweeting, "Apologies to local media folks who were hoping for an interview. I have a slutty mystique to maintain, you know?"
bank of america, credit cards, san francisco news, ama daetz
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- More bodies found inside South Korean ferry
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- 2 men injured in separate shootings in East Oakland
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Hundreds paddle out for surf icon Hobie Alter
- $14M awarded in suit linking contraceptive, stroke
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday