San Francisco News
BART service resumes at Powell Station in SF after shooting nearby
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- Tourists and shoppers were in for a scare after a gunman fired shots right outside a mall in downtown San Francisco. The shooting happened just after seven last night near Powell and Market Street, right outside the Westfield Mall.
A two marks a piece of evidence right outside the doorway to the Westfield Mall. This is where police say a 19-year-old man was hit by at least two gunshots.
Oscar Malfet is visiting from France and saw some of the commotion. He says he saw a man run to an escalator leading into the BART and Muni station below. Police say that man was actually the victim - he collapsed once he got down the escalator. Malfet says he heard the gunshots - then saw the man bleeding.
Police say the man was rushed to San Francisco General Hospital with life threatening injuries.
Aldo Gomez says the shooting triggered some confusion inside the lower level mall food court that connects to the subway station.
"You just see people running away from certain spot, then I came out to see what was happening, then I had to go back in to close my store," said Gomez.
He works at the Jamba Juice at the food court. Customers at the mall say security began closing some stores - and BART police quickly shut down the station. Riders were evacuated and told to go to nearby stations to catch the trains.
Anyone with information about the shooting is urged to call the San Francisco Police Department at (415) 553-8090.
BART, shooting, transportation, san francisco news
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Fatal accident on Almaden Expressway in San Jose 39 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown