San Francisco News
Man pleads not guilty to attacking woman at SFGH
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- The man accused of beating a 93-year-old grandmother at San Francisco General Hospital was arraigned in court Wednesday. Orin Zebest pleaded not guilty to assault with a deadly weapon and elder abuse.
The attack happened Friday night in the emergency room, when Mary Perez was admitted for breathing problems. She suffered cuts and bruises when 29-year-old Zebest reportedly hit her with an IV pole.
At the time, Zebest was being taken to the ER for a medical evaluation.
Perez told her daughter he went berserk when doctors told him he had to be placed in psychiatric care.
"My mom says the man opened the curtain, closed it, picked up the IV pole and used the base of the pole to hit her in the head," Perez's daughter Tirsa Ledesma said through a translator. "She put up her arms to defend herself but he kept hitting her."
The hospital says sheriff's deputies stationed in the emergency room were able to subdue Zebest. Her daughter says the damage was already done.
"They found her bloody, she was bleeding from her head," Ledesma said. "Her body was bruised and her arms were bleeding.
Last fall, 57-year-old Lynne Spalding was found dead in a hospital stairwell, 17 days after she was reported missing from her room. Investigators later found both the hospital and the sheriff's department at fault.
The attorney for the Spalding family told ABC7 News, the promises by Sheriff Ross Mirkarimi to increase security aren't working.
"This woman could have been beaten or choked to death," Haig Harris said. "There is no security or safety at San Francisco General Hospital."
The hospital says Perez is in good condition, but she'll stay over one more night for observation.
san francisco general hospital, crime, san francisco news, vic lee
- Teen stowaway remains hospitalized in Hawaii
- SFPD to crack down on violators for pedestrian safety
- Sex offender grabs girl from parents in Berkeley
- 3-alarm fire burns three homes in San Francisco
- Pedestrian critically injured in accident in SF 1 min ago
- Material on Australian shore examined in jet hunt
- Scientists locate shipwreck in San Francisco Bay
- Free health clinic in SF and Oakland this week
- Palo Alto hiker rescued in Yosemite after fall 14 min ago
- FedEx sued over deadly California bus crash
- Classical music legend Art Barnes is retiring
- Mom bites dog's ear to save daughter during attack
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Murder-for-hire plot; East Bay parks plan
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos