San Francisco News
Teen hit by car while crossing street in San Francisco
SAN FRANCISCO -- A 15-year-old boy was hit by a car Wednesday evening at the same location in San Francisco's Sunset District where an elderly man was fatally struck earlier this month, police said Thursday
The teen was struck shortly after 6:15 p.m. in the crosswalk at Sunset Boulevard near Yorba Street.
He was taken to San Francisco General Hospital for head trauma and lower body injuries but is expected to survive, according to police.
The driver of the car that struck the boy stopped at the scene and cooperated with investigators, police said.
The collision happened at the same crosswalk where a gruesome accident occurred on Feb. 4.
Shortly before 11 a.m. that day, 78-year-old Isaak Berenson was crossing the street when he was struck and killed by 71-year-old Jenny Ching, who had two other passengers in her Toyota Corolla.
Berenson went through the windshield of the Corolla and remained there for hours under a yellow tarp until a medical examiner's crew came to take away his body.
Ching was later cited and released on suspicion of misdemeanor vehicular manslaughter and failure to yield to a pedestrian in a crosswalk, police said.
Following the Feb. 4 crash, neighbors said that stretch of Sunset Boulevard is known to be dangerous to pedestrians.
City officials put up pedestrian warning lights along the thoroughfare in recent years but pedestrian advocates have said more needs to be done to ensure their safety.
pedestrian struck, SFPD, sffd, sunset district, san francisco news
- Suspect in San Francisco police shooting arrested 38 min ago
- Pedestrian fatally struck by SUV on NB Highway 880
- PM: Won't budge '1 centimeter' from Ukrainian land
- Missing 11-year-old boy Bryan Lazo found
- Ford Motor Co. leader William Clay Ford dies at 88
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85 51 min ago
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at SoCal school 42 min ago
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gas prices may jump from California emissions law
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Suspect in San Francisco police shooting...
38 min ago
- Dozens injured after stage collapses at...
42 min ago