San Francisco News
Water main break disrupts SF Muni service on L-Taraval line
SAN FRANCISCO -- Repairs to a 6-inch water main that broke in San Francisco's Parkside Neighborhood are expected to take another four hours, a San Francisco Public Utilities Commission spokesman said Thursday afternoon.
The break on 15th Avenue near Ulloa Street was first reported around 1 p.m., Jue said.
Two blocks on 15th Avenue between Ulloa and Taraval streets will remain without water service until the repairs to the 81-year-old cast iron pipe are completed, but other areas are unaffected, according to SFPUC spokesman Tyrone Jue.
The break is disrupting service to Municipal Railway light-rail service, utility and Muni officials said.
Muni officials first issued an alert on Twitter about the water line break at 1:48 p.m.
Outbound light-rail vehicles on the L-Taraval line are stopping at the West Portal station and bus shuttles are taking passengers the rest of the way to the San Francisco Zoo, Muni officials said.
The break occurred only two blocks from the scene of an incident last year that damaged several houses.
A 16-inch cast iron water main broke at 15th Avenue and Wawona Street on Feb. 27, 2013, and flooded 23 homes.
Three homes were red-tagged as a result of that incident and three yellow-tagged, according to reports from shortly after the incident. A dozen cars were also damaged.
muni, water main break, transportation, san francisco news
- BART to give sneak peek of fleet of the future
- Residents unable to return home after SF fire
- 2 people shot at Richmond strip mall
- Moment of silence marks Boston Marathon bombings
- 292 missing, 4 dead in South Korea ferry disaster
- SF leaders to announce plan to deal with "420" events
- Congresswomen support Cal sexual assault victims
- Man charged with hoax near marathon finish line
- Revolutionary surgery for girl mauled by pet raccoon
- Consumer Reports evaluates best toilet papers 37 min ago
- VIRAL VIDEO: "World's toughest job" interview
- Sobrato family makes mark on South Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- roundup: Youth coach sentenced; SF two-alarm fire 13 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos