San Francisco News
Three-alarm fire destroys Luxor Cab service garage
SAN FRANCISCO -- A three-alarm fire has destroyed a service garage for a cab company in San Francisco's Bayview District, fire and company officials said today.
The fire, reported at 11:53 a.m., has been contained but not fully extinguished as of shortly after 1 p.m., fire department spokeswoman Mindy Talmadge said.
The blaze caused the roof to collapse at the building, which was still smoldering this afternoon, Talmadge said.
Charles Rathbone, assistant manager with Luxor Cab Co., said the fire destroyed a service garage on Upton Street that the company used for maintenance and repairs.
"It's a total loss," Rathbone said.
He said all employees inside the building escaped without any injuries.
However, he said, "We lost a bunch of cars in there, including a beautiful 1938 Plymouth we had hoped to showcase as part of our history."
Luxor was one of the city's first cab companies, operating since 1928.
"It's nothing that money can't fix," Rathbone said of the fire. "Nobody was hurt so we're fortunate in that event."
Employees at other neighboring businesses were also evacuated because of the fire, which prompted the closure of several nearby streets.
The blaze caused a large plume of smoke that was seen as far away as the East Bay.
bayview hunters point, fire, san francisco news
- Crews demolishing building in Mission Bay fire 45 min ago
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion
- Malaysia: No engine data after plane went missing
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: DNA on SJ cop's vest in rape investigation
- Man arrested after standoff in San Francisco 58 min ago
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Consumer Reports tests gray hair touch up products
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Boy struck by car 43 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos