San Francisco News
Officials find suspicious meatballs in San Francisco's Nob Hill
SAN FRANCISCO (KGO) -- San Francisco police rushed to another location Tuesday fearing more tainted meatballs may have been left on the street for dogs to find.
Suspicious meatballs were found on Clay and Larkin Street in front of an abandoned church on Tuesday morning, but it turns out the meatballs were made of clay.
Investigators arrived at the scene after they got the report of the meatballs. They were actually in a meeting about this case when the tip came in.
They collected the meatballs and will study them to find out if they are poisonous.
The discovery comes just days after 32 meatballs, suspected to be tainted, were found in the Richmond District and Twin Peaks neighborhoods. Signs warning the public can be seen everywhere in those areas. It's the same spot where hundreds of poison meatballs were found last summer, one dog died as a result at that time. Others were sickened.
"I don't know what to make of it. I'm glad that they're not, that there isn't poisoned meat sitting out here for us to be concerned about. We see dog owners walking by, walking their dogs right now. Had that been poisoned meat, it's possible the dog would've gotten to it before we had," Lt. Denise BonGiovanni said.
All of the suspected meatballs have been sent to U.C. Davis for testing to find out if they were laced with anything.
Investigators say tips are coming in and that they are making progress.
Officials want dog owners to be on high alert when they're out walking their dogs.
San Francisco police are asking the public for assistance in the case. Anyone with information is encouraged to call the SFPD's anonymous tip line at (415) 575-4444.
diamond heights, cole valley, haight ashbury, animal, animals in peril, food, crime, uc davis, nob hill, san francisco news, amy hollyfield
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Fatal accident on Almaden Expressway in San Jose 36 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown