South Bay News
Campbell elects country's youngest gay mayor
CAMPBELL, CA -- Evan Low made history Tuesday by becoming the country's youngest openly gay mayor.
Low, 26, is now the country's youngest Asian American mayor. He will replace current Mayor Jane Kennedy.
Low said that although he is proud of those milestones, his aim is to be representative of the entire Campbell community.
"I hope that this will provide an opportunity for other people to get involved who traditionally might not see politics as something that might be exciting or something that might not interest them," Low said.
Low said that as mayor, he hopes to provide the same quality of life that residents are used to and find ways to use the public dollar more effectively.
He said he would also focus on bringing business and emerging sectors into the city to increase revenue and capitalize on green and new technology to reduce the city's carbon footprint.
"It's a really challenging time to be in government at this particular point in time, given economic strains," Low said. "Oftentimes we find ourselves doing more with less."
The biggest challenge he is expecting to face is a $1 million to $2 million budget shortfall.
"We have to find a way to weather the storm but be innovative as well, to look for additional revenue and do so without raising additional taxes," Low said.
Low was elected to the City Council in 2006 after settling in the city in 2003. He received a bachelor's degree in political science at San Jose State University and graduated from the Senior Executives in State and Local Government Program at the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University.
The position of mayor rotates annually in Campbell.
campbell, south bay news
- 1 dead, 16 injured in East Harlem explosion 18 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
31 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos