South Bay News
UCSC library fire accidental; no books damaged
SANTA CRUZ, CA (KGO) -- The fire that damaged the main library at UC Santa Cruz has been ruled accidental.
Investigators say a power cord left on by workers over-heated and ignited plastic and insulation.
The building is under renovation.
Firefighters evacuated about 100 students and a security guard had to be treated for smoke inhalation.
Officials say none of the books burned and materials for an upcoming Grateful Dead collection were spared.
The library will remain closed throughout the weekend while it airs out.
fire, santa cruz, uc santa cruz, south bay news
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial
- Gay partner benefits growing at Fortune 500 firms 55 min ago
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- 7 LA sheriff's deputies arrested in jail probe
- South Africa names speakers for Mandela ceremony
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- NTSB to highlight 'over-reliance' during Asiana hearings
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Winter Spare the Air called for today
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos