South Bay News
UCSC library fire accidental; no books damaged
SANTA CRUZ, CA (KGO) -- The fire that damaged the main library at UC Santa Cruz has been ruled accidental.
Investigators say a power cord left on by workers over-heated and ignited plastic and insulation.
The building is under renovation.
Firefighters evacuated about 100 students and a security guard had to be treated for smoke inhalation.
Officials say none of the books burned and materials for an upcoming Grateful Dead collection were spared.
The library will remain closed throughout the weekend while it airs out.
fire, santa cruz, uc santa cruz, south bay news
- Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb kills 91 29 min ago
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Bay Area residents in DC protest against banks
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Victims hope to get money back from lending scheme
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison
- 5-year-old killed in rollover crash in Richmond
- 4-alarm grass fire burns 8 acres in Orinda
- Teen dead, 2 injured in East Palo Alto shooting
- Vallejo fire leaves one person hospitalized
- Silver Creek HS sophomore killed in bike accident
- NFL owners set to decide Super Bowl L site Tuesday
- roundup: Mountain lion spotted; Palo Alto murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
42 min ago