South Bay News
Pot enthusiasts celebrate 4/20 at UC Santa Cruz
SANTA CRUZ, CA (KGO) -- Tuesday was April 20, also known as 4/20, the day marijuana smokers and enthusiasts gather to celebrate and smoke. Perhaps one of the biggest celebrations takes place at the University of California, Santa Cruz at 4:20 p.m.
High Street marks the entrance to UC Santa Cruz, but on April 20 the name takes on a new meaning.
But university officials were not amused by that or any jokes about the day.
"Quite honestly, we wish it would just disappear," UCSC spokesperson Jim Burns said.
The celebration of pot is not sanctioned by the university.
"It creates inconveniences for our faculty, staff and students here who are on campus for legitimate reasons this afternoon," Burns said.
University officials do not make it easy for celebrants to attend the big smoke-out in a meadow on the far outskirts of campus. The street that leads to it is marked with "tow away" and "no parking" signs and the closest gate closed by midday. But the crowds just keep coming.
"Everyone gets together and it's a celebration of happiness and peace and springtime," student "Elly" said.
Not all of the 16,000 students took a toke or two on Tuesday.
"I'm kind of just mostly staying back and doing my homework and my studies," Kirsten Anderson said.
In the meadow, people were chilling out; some maybe too much.
"Have a bunch of fun in the field, celebrate good times," student Matt O'Bannon said.
No one was getting busted for smoking at UCSC Tuesday; in fact, it was a captive audience for November's ballot measure legalizing marijuana.
"I think California is finally ready to do what needs to be done," marijuana legalization supporter Mark Anthony said.
And at 4:20 p.m., a cheer went up from the thousands gathered at the meadow, as did a giant cloud of smoke.
santa cruz, uc santa cruz, pot club, pot bust, medical marijuana, south bay news, vic lee
- 1 dead, 2 injured in Redwood City boating accident
- Mother, child killed in San Francisco fire
- San Francisco officials plan to crack down on "420"
- SF Chinese community faces fallout from Yee arrest
- Fatal accident on Almaden Expressway in San Jose 18 min ago
- Possible explosive prompts evacuations in Solvang
- Firetruck rams California eatery; 15 injured
- BART unveils new train car design in SF
- Man accused of killing Sierra LaMar appears in court
- VIDEO: Man kicked in head taking selfie in...
- Angels beat A's 5-4 on Iannetta's HR in 12th
- Photos: The 10 worst jobs for 2014
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- roundup: Hammer beating; SF "420" crackdown 59 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
50 min ago