South Bay News
Police impersonators steal car in San Jose
SAN JOSE, CA -- A San Jose resident had her car stolen Wednesday night by two men impersonating police officers, according to the Monterey County Sheriff's Office.
Maria Melendez, 40, was driving home on northbound U.S. Highway 101 from a business trip in Los Angeles when a white Chevy Tahoe with flashing emergency lights pulled up behind her at around 9:20 p.m., sheriff's officials said.
Melendez told the sheriff's office she pulled over to the side of the road in the Salinas area near Russell Road because she thought she was being stopped by law enforcement.
Two men wearing black clothing, bulletproof vests and black ski masks approached Melendez and told her to exit her vehicle.
When she got out, the two men bound her hands with plastic ties, got in her car, and sped off. The Chevy Tahoe with the flashing emergency lights also fled northbound on U.S. Highway 101, according to the sheriff's office.
Melendez flagged down a motorist and called 911. She was unable to provide any more information about the suspects or vehicle. Other than having her hands bound, Melendez wasn't injured.
The victim's car, a 2008 Nissan Maxima with a California license plate, has not been recovered.
Anyone who may have information about this incident can call the sheriff's office at (831) 647-7702.
san jose, carjacking, crime, south bay news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case