South Bay News
Mother, son arrested on drug charges in Salinas
SALINAS, CA -- A 34-year-old Salinas woman and her 16-year-old son were arrested after the pair allegedly lied to officers about the teenager's identity so he wouldn't be arrested on drug charges and a felony battery warrant, according to police.
The teen was arrested Saturday for possession of marijuana, possession of marijuana for sale, providing false information and an outstanding arrest warrant.
His mother, Marlene Rodriguez, was arrested for accessory to a crime and contributing to the delinquency of a minor.
The teenager was first arrested for possession of marijuana for sale on May 8. He gave officers a false name and date of birth, which Rodriguez confirmed, according to police. The teen was released to Rodriguez.
A couple of hours later, the juvenile's fingerprint analysis came back with his real identity, police said. It turned out he had an outstanding felony warrant for battery on a police officer.
On Saturday, officers found the teenager in front of San Rita School and arrested him again.
Rodriguez was called to the Police Department, and officers determined she knew about her son's warrant when she lied about his identity on May 8, according to police. The pair had allegedly provided police with false information before.
Rodriguez was booked into county jail, and her son was booked into juvenile hall.
salinas, crime, south bay news
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire