South Bay News
Police standoff shuts down Alum Rock neighborhood
ALUM ROCK, CA -- Police have shut down an East San Jose neighborhood this afternoon because of a disturbance that may have involved a shooting.
A disturbance involving a weapon was reported at a two-story townhouse in the 100 block of Rose Lane, near Capitol Expressway, at 11:47 a.m., Sgt. Ronnie Lopez said.
"Upon arrival officers heard some shots being fired," Lopez said.
Officers began evacuating nearby homes and surrounded the townhouse where the disturbance occurred.
Police are now trying to communicate with two people believed to be inside the home, a male and a female, Lopez said.
"We're attempting to make contact with them, we're not sure what their status is," Lopez said at about 1:30 p.m.
It is not clear whether anyone was hit by the gunfire.
The owner of nearby Mark's Hot Dogs, who declined to give her name, said her parking lot was full of police cars and that she and others weren't being allowed outside.
She said she had heard what may have been gunshots after police arrived, but initially assumed the sounds were coming from nearby auto shops.
alum rock, crime, south bay news
- Family take legal steps to keep girl on life support
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Big Sur fire burns 550 acres; 5 percent contained
- Woman dies after tweeting about working for 30 hours
- Man accused of trying to throw wife off San Mateo Bridge
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- New tech honcho for Obama health care website
- Teen burned on bus to be honored by school team
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Deaf dad gets to hear daughter sing for...
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure vote; Vallejo PD raise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos