South Bay News
Police standoff shuts down Alum Rock neighborhood
ALUM ROCK, CA -- Police have shut down an East San Jose neighborhood this afternoon because of a disturbance that may have involved a shooting.
A disturbance involving a weapon was reported at a two-story townhouse in the 100 block of Rose Lane, near Capitol Expressway, at 11:47 a.m., Sgt. Ronnie Lopez said.
"Upon arrival officers heard some shots being fired," Lopez said.
Officers began evacuating nearby homes and surrounded the townhouse where the disturbance occurred.
Police are now trying to communicate with two people believed to be inside the home, a male and a female, Lopez said.
"We're attempting to make contact with them, we're not sure what their status is," Lopez said at about 1:30 p.m.
It is not clear whether anyone was hit by the gunfire.
The owner of nearby Mark's Hot Dogs, who declined to give her name, said her parking lot was full of police cars and that she and others weren't being allowed outside.
She said she had heard what may have been gunshots after police arrived, but initially assumed the sounds were coming from nearby auto shops.
alum rock, crime, south bay news
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington's Skagit River 29 min ago
- Preliminary 5.7 earthquake hits Northern California 48 min ago
- New details released in police officers' murders 26 min ago
- Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF
- Report: Most California beaches had clean water in 2012
- Gov. Brown keeps pressing climate change crusade
- Video: America's Cup teams practice on San... 40 min ago
- TIME publishes Obama prom photo, yearbook message
- Caltrans shows fix for broken Bay Bridge bolts
- Oakland's real estate market heats up
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets free McDonald's food
- abcnews: New bill would allow pets on Amtrak
- roundup: BART bike vote; Gov. climate change
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- America's Cup teams practice on San...
40 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos