South Bay News
Police standoff shuts down Alum Rock neighborhood
ALUM ROCK, CA -- Police have shut down an East San Jose neighborhood this afternoon because of a disturbance that may have involved a shooting.
A disturbance involving a weapon was reported at a two-story townhouse in the 100 block of Rose Lane, near Capitol Expressway, at 11:47 a.m., Sgt. Ronnie Lopez said.
"Upon arrival officers heard some shots being fired," Lopez said.
Officers began evacuating nearby homes and surrounded the townhouse where the disturbance occurred.
Police are now trying to communicate with two people believed to be inside the home, a male and a female, Lopez said.
"We're attempting to make contact with them, we're not sure what their status is," Lopez said at about 1:30 p.m.
It is not clear whether anyone was hit by the gunfire.
The owner of nearby Mark's Hot Dogs, who declined to give her name, said her parking lot was full of police cars and that she and others weren't being allowed outside.
She said she had heard what may have been gunshots after police arrived, but initially assumed the sounds were coming from nearby auto shops.
alum rock, crime, south bay news
- 3 detained following chase in SF officer shooting 35 min ago
- Petaluma police say thieves targeting utility trucks
- 93-year-old Marin Co. man missing for over a week
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Partner of dead LA officer in stable condition
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 9 min ago
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
7 min ago