South Bay News
Kingpin gang member arrested in Santa Cruz
SANTA CRUZ, CA (KGO) -- Santa Cruz police have arrested a suspected MS-13 gang member that they say is a kingpin in the local heroin and cocaine trade.
Police took 23-year-old Jose Alvarenga of Aptos into custody last week and are now working to have him deported back to El Salvador. Alvarenga has a history of local drug arrests.
This is the second high-profile arrest of an MS-13 gang member in the Santa Cruz area.
aptos, santa cruz, crime, south bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Santa makes early visit to Tenderloin school
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
- Dying cancer patient's friend offers to be surrogate
- Big Sur wildfire is fully contained
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday