South Bay News
Salinas man hospitalized after shooting
SALINAS, CA -- A 24-year-old man was hospitalized after a suspected gang-related shooting in Salinas Friday night, according to police.
The shooting was reported at about 10:10 p.m. in the 700 block of Garner Avenue, police said.
Arriving officers found the victim suffering from a gunshot wound at an apartment complex on the street.
He had apparently been standing in the parking lot of the apartment complex when a suspect approached. After some type of verbal confrontation between the two, the suspect took out a gun and shot the victim in the upper body, according to police.
The victim was taken by medical helicopter to a regional hospital to be treated for his injuries. His condition was not being released by police as of this morning.
The shooting is being investigated as gang-related, and no arrests have been made as of this morning. The suspect is described as an 18-year-old Hispanic man with a shaved head and moustache who was wearing black clothing, police said.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call the Salinas Police Department's crime tip line at (831) 775-4222.
salinas, crime, gang violence, south bay news
- Manhunt underway after officer shot in SF 5 min ago
- Russia reinforces military presence in Crimea
- Rally held in SF to mark anniversary of Japan quake
- $1.2M bond set for mom who drove kids into ocean
- Tips for adjusting to daylight saving time
- International Women's Day walk kicks off in SF
- 'Sunday Streets' returns to San Francisco
- 750 immigration detainees on hunger strike in US
- Missing woman from Benicia found in Alpine County
- Plan to build median on GG Bridge moves forward
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday 43 min ago
- roundup: Officer-involved shooting; Murder case
- Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
43 min ago