South Bay News
Salinas man hospitalized after shooting
SALINAS, CA -- A 24-year-old man was hospitalized after a suspected gang-related shooting in Salinas Friday night, according to police.
The shooting was reported at about 10:10 p.m. in the 700 block of Garner Avenue, police said.
Arriving officers found the victim suffering from a gunshot wound at an apartment complex on the street.
He had apparently been standing in the parking lot of the apartment complex when a suspect approached. After some type of verbal confrontation between the two, the suspect took out a gun and shot the victim in the upper body, according to police.
The victim was taken by medical helicopter to a regional hospital to be treated for his injuries. His condition was not being released by police as of this morning.
The shooting is being investigated as gang-related, and no arrests have been made as of this morning. The suspect is described as an 18-year-old Hispanic man with a shaved head and moustache who was wearing black clothing, police said.
Anyone with information about the shooting is asked to call the Salinas Police Department's crime tip line at (831) 775-4222.
salinas, crime, gang violence, south bay news
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont 37 min ago
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Good Samaritan alerts family to burning home
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- Man found fatally shot in Concord
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body