South Bay News
VTA riders to see more bus stop improvements
SAN JOSE, CA -- Bus riders in San Jose can expect a host of improvements to bus stops along certain routes beginning in July, according to the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority.
This is the second phase of bus stop improvements in the area. An earlier phase included upgrades for 26 bus stops along King Road in San Jose.
Stops selected for the second phase follow bus routes along Story Road, which sees the some of the highest ridership in the area, according to the VTA.
The 18 bus stops scheduled for improvements are between King and White roads in east San Jose. Another three stops in south San Jose will also be upgraded.
VTA officials said they will try to create temporary stops for passengers during construction, but that it is not always possible to do so and that riders should use nearby stops in the interim.
Improvements include some combination of upgrading solar lighting, installing new benches, adding new trash cans, putting in concrete pads for buses and expanding passenger loading pads, according to the VTA.
All of the work is scheduled for completion in November. The VTA estimates that the total cost will be less than $188,000, paid for by a Federal Transit Administration grant.
santa clara county, VTA, san jose, south bay news
- 2 NYC buildings collapse in explosion, 2 dead 24 min ago
- Lawmakers call for changes after refinery acid spill
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Feinstein: CIA improperly searched computer network
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- 49ers acquire Jonathan Martin from Dolphins
- Malaysian military says missing jet changed course
- Two students arrested for making dog drink beer
- Pedestrian hit by car in downtown San Francisco crosswalk
- Pavelski scores twice as Sharks beat Leafs 6-2
- Warriors whip Mavs 108-85 for 5th straight win
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos