South Bay News
VTA riders to see more bus stop improvements
SAN JOSE, CA -- Bus riders in San Jose can expect a host of improvements to bus stops along certain routes beginning in July, according to the Santa Clara Valley Transportation Authority.
This is the second phase of bus stop improvements in the area. An earlier phase included upgrades for 26 bus stops along King Road in San Jose.
Stops selected for the second phase follow bus routes along Story Road, which sees the some of the highest ridership in the area, according to the VTA.
The 18 bus stops scheduled for improvements are between King and White roads in east San Jose. Another three stops in south San Jose will also be upgraded.
VTA officials said they will try to create temporary stops for passengers during construction, but that it is not always possible to do so and that riders should use nearby stops in the interim.
Improvements include some combination of upgrading solar lighting, installing new benches, adding new trash cans, putting in concrete pads for buses and expanding passenger loading pads, according to the VTA.
All of the work is scheduled for completion in November. The VTA estimates that the total cost will be less than $188,000, paid for by a Federal Transit Administration grant.
santa clara county, VTA, san jose, south bay news
- 6.9 quake rattles off the Northern California coast 59 min ago
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 34 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
- Little progress made in search for missing...
3 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos