South Bay News
Local marine corporal killed in Afghanistan
SAN JOSE, CA -- A 23-year-old Marine corporal from San Jose was killed by an explosive device in Afghanistan on Tuesday, according to the Department of Defense.
Cpl. Kevin A. Cueto was supporting combat operations in Helmand province. He is the second person from the Bay Area to be killed in Afghanistan in the past two weeks. Army specialist Nathan Cox, 27, of Fremont, died after insurgents attacked the unit he was with on June 16.
Cueto enlisted in the Marine Corps on Aug. 15, 2005, and this was his second combat deployment. He had previously served in Iraq in 2009, according to the Department of Defense.
His personal service awards include the Purple Heart, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, Combat Action Ribbon, Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal and the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal.
Cueto was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force based at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, Calif.
san jose, war, south bay news
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- State oversight may tame California pot shops
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- All lanes of I-880 in Oakland cleared after fatal crash
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters 52 min ago
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal bar shooting; Utility truck thefts
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos