South Bay News
Local marine corporal killed in Afghanistan
SAN JOSE, CA -- A 23-year-old Marine corporal from San Jose was killed by an explosive device in Afghanistan on Tuesday, according to the Department of Defense.
Cpl. Kevin A. Cueto was supporting combat operations in Helmand province. He is the second person from the Bay Area to be killed in Afghanistan in the past two weeks. Army specialist Nathan Cox, 27, of Fremont, died after insurgents attacked the unit he was with on June 16.
Cueto enlisted in the Marine Corps on Aug. 15, 2005, and this was his second combat deployment. He had previously served in Iraq in 2009, according to the Department of Defense.
His personal service awards include the Purple Heart, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, Combat Action Ribbon, Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, National Defense Service Medal, Afghanistan Campaign Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal and the Global War on Terrorism Service Medal.
Cueto was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 7th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force based at the Marine Corps Air Ground Combat Center in Twentynine Palms, Calif.
san jose, war, south bay news
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated 31 min ago
- Bay Area freeze extends longer than expected
- Protest gets heated for Santa Rosa teen shot
- Bank robbery suspect shot near mall in San Rafael
- NTSB: Asiana captain worried about visual landing
- Golf pro charged with sexually abusing boys
- Richmond police searching for young runaway sisters
- SF Giants pitcher inspired by Batkid to give
- Pope Francis named TIME's Person of the Year
- Winter Spare the Air called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Obama poses for selfie at Mandela's memorial
- roundup: Golf pro charged; Xmas tree in Bay
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday