South Bay News
DUI crash suspect had 6-month-old in car
SALINAS, CA -- A 19-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of felony DUI Friday morning when Salinas police found him passed out after crashing his car into a pole with his six-month-old son in the backseat.
Shortly before 10:30 a.m. Friday, Rufino Valerio was driving north on North Sanborn Road in Salinas when he left the roadway and hit a pole, causing his right front tire to go flat, police said.
Valerio continued driving and struck another pole before passing out due to his intoxication level, according to police.
Officers arrived and found Valerio's six-month-old son properly restrained in his car seat with a contusion to his forehead.
Valerio was booked into county jail for felony driving under the influence.
His son was taken to Natividad Medical Center to be treated for the injury to his forehead. He has been placed into protective custody, police said.
salinas, car crash, crime, south bay news
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry 6 min ago
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service 55 min ago
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Bay Area man survives avalanche on Mount Everest
- SF officer hurt in crash with armed robbery suspects
- A's score 3 in 9th, rally past Astros 4-3
- Elderly woman beaten, robbed in Santa Cruz
- Woman travels to Vegas to celebrate 103rd birthday
- Sacramento Co. sheriff seeks surveillance footage
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
6 min ago
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter...
55 min ago