South Bay News
DUI crash suspect had 6-month-old in car
SALINAS, CA -- A 19-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of felony DUI Friday morning when Salinas police found him passed out after crashing his car into a pole with his six-month-old son in the backseat.
Shortly before 10:30 a.m. Friday, Rufino Valerio was driving north on North Sanborn Road in Salinas when he left the roadway and hit a pole, causing his right front tire to go flat, police said.
Valerio continued driving and struck another pole before passing out due to his intoxication level, according to police.
Officers arrived and found Valerio's six-month-old son properly restrained in his car seat with a contusion to his forehead.
Valerio was booked into county jail for felony driving under the influence.
His son was taken to Natividad Medical Center to be treated for the injury to his forehead. He has been placed into protective custody, police said.
salinas, car crash, crime, south bay news
- Two fires break out near each other in Hayward 11 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Two injured in two-alarm fire in San Jose 9 min ago
- Senate blocks change to military sex assault cases
- Oakland mayor to deliver State of the City address
- Oakland teen accused in AC Transit fire in court
- Batkid was scheduled to appear at Oscars
- Bryan Stow attackers charged with federal crimes
- Some have privacy concerns with wearable technology
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Nob Hill gas leak; Scam warning
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos