South Bay News
DUI crash suspect had 6-month-old in car
SALINAS, CA -- A 19-year-old man was arrested on suspicion of felony DUI Friday morning when Salinas police found him passed out after crashing his car into a pole with his six-month-old son in the backseat.
Shortly before 10:30 a.m. Friday, Rufino Valerio was driving north on North Sanborn Road in Salinas when he left the roadway and hit a pole, causing his right front tire to go flat, police said.
Valerio continued driving and struck another pole before passing out due to his intoxication level, according to police.
Officers arrived and found Valerio's six-month-old son properly restrained in his car seat with a contusion to his forehead.
Valerio was booked into county jail for felony driving under the influence.
His son was taken to Natividad Medical Center to be treated for the injury to his forehead. He has been placed into protective custody, police said.
salinas, car crash, crime, south bay news
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Four-alarm warehouse fire in Concord investigated
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans
- Runaway sisters found hiding in neighbor's home
- wls: Baby girl found dead in car seat in Chicago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial 12 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday