South Bay News
Security increased at South Bay school after threat
SANTA CLARA COUNTY, CA (KGO) -- Police are stepping up security at a South Bay elementary school and parents are getting warnings after a threat of something terrible happening Friday.
The terrible threat is that some type of explosive device could be detonated at the west Santa Clara campus. While it's unclear whether this is a juvenile prank, school officials and police are taking it seriously -- investigating and adding security.
The Santa Clara Unified School District says it discovered the graffiti scrawled on a school door at Briarwood Elementary two weeks ago, on August 4. The message threatened that an explosive device would be set off on August 20.
On Monday, the first day of school, the district superintendent sent parents a letter advising them of the threat and the extra security precautions they're taking.
Briarwood elementary will remain open -- it'll be a business-as-usual school day, but certainly the parents of the nearly 400 students who attend there will now be on high alert.
In addition to the watchful eyes-and-ears of parents and the usual school campus officers, extra police will also patrol the residential area around this 12-acre campus.
santa clara county, south bay news, teresa garcia
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Drought prompts officials to release water in Delta 7 min ago
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Local entrepreneur facing domestic violence charges
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd
- Drought prompts officials to release water...
7 min ago