South Bay News
Security increased at South Bay school after threat
SANTA CLARA COUNTY, CA (KGO) -- Police are stepping up security at a South Bay elementary school and parents are getting warnings after a threat of something terrible happening Friday.
The terrible threat is that some type of explosive device could be detonated at the west Santa Clara campus. While it's unclear whether this is a juvenile prank, school officials and police are taking it seriously -- investigating and adding security.
The Santa Clara Unified School District says it discovered the graffiti scrawled on a school door at Briarwood Elementary two weeks ago, on August 4. The message threatened that an explosive device would be set off on August 20.
On Monday, the first day of school, the district superintendent sent parents a letter advising them of the threat and the extra security precautions they're taking.
Briarwood elementary will remain open -- it'll be a business-as-usual school day, but certainly the parents of the nearly 400 students who attend there will now be on high alert.
In addition to the watchful eyes-and-ears of parents and the usual school campus officers, extra police will also patrol the residential area around this 12-acre campus.
santa clara county, south bay news, teresa garcia
- Secret Service investigating Target hack 6 min ago
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket
- Journals show students' despair, hope 13 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Another mistake found in BART union contract
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Journals show students' despair, hope
13 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos