South Bay News
Capitola residents to protest against smart meters
CAPITOLA, CA -- Residents in Santa Cruz County are planning to protest on Thursday against the installation of SmartMeters throughout the county, claiming that the installations are forced.
Opponents of the meters say they are concerned that there has been no public consultation in advance of the installations. They claim PG&E has contracted with Wellington Energy to install the new wireless meters against the will of residents.
Opponents claim that according to peer-reviewed scientific studies the meters may have serious health consequences, similar to cell phones.
The demonstration will begin at the corner of 38th Avenue and Portola Drive at about 7:30 a.m.
capitola, south bay news
- Hearing produces new details, video of Asiana crash
- PG&E removes pipe involved in Oakland gas leak
- Toys for Tots donations really low this year
- Memorial takes place in SF to honor Mandela
- Man shot by deputy may be "Cotton Ball Bandit"
- Huy Fong Foods halting Sriracha sauce shipments
- Teen given probation in DUI crash that killed four
- Mother releases video of daughter killed in Sandy Hook shooting
- Facebook to join S&P 500
- Volkswagen to end production of iconic 'Kombi' vans
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- abcnews: First lady's glare seen round the world
- roundup: Warehouse fire; Mandela memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos