South Bay News
Woman jailed in connection with suspicious death
SALINAS, CA -- A 42-year-old woman was arrested Thursday by Salinas police officers and booked at Monterey County Jail for homicide in connection with the suspicious death of a 58-year-old Salinas man.
On Sept. 1 at about 4:10 p.m., officers responded to the 700 block of Carmelita Drive because neighbors and co-workers of Mark Hafen said they had not seen or heard from him since the night of Aug. 27.
Officers gained entry into Hafen's residence through an open window and discovered Hafen's body, police said.
An investigation of Hafen's cause of death pointed to head trauma, and the case was being investigated as a homicide, police said.
An autopsy was scheduled for Friday morning, although police have not released any information on Hafen's exact cause of death.
Detectives learned the last person seen with Hafen was Verginia Turner, 42, who was also allegedly the last person to visit the Carmelita Drive home.
Turner and Hafen had an on-again, off-again relationship, but she lived elsewhere, police said.
Police were actively looking for Turner, and on Thursday her family members brought her to the police department, where she was questioned and subsequently arrested on suspicion of murder, police said.
The case has been passed to the Monterey County district attorney's office, which will handled future inquiries.
salinas, crime, south bay news
- Amber Alert canceled for child from Long Beach
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires
- Two hospitalized after acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Investigators to speak with shot San Francisco officer
- Tuolumne County man found guilty in I-580 shooting
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan 43 min ago
- Local entrepreneur facing domestic violence charges
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- Stolen EBMUD truck found in Castro Valley
- Barry Bonds back in Giants uniform as camp coach
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Fremont fires; Crash victim ID'd
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
45 min ago
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop...
43 min ago