South Bay News
On ramp hit-and-run kills driver in SJ
SAN JOSE, CA -- One man was killed in a car collision this morning after his car was rear-ended and rolled over on a ramp connecting southbound Interstate Highway 680 to southbound U.S. Highway 101, according to a California Highway Patrol report.
The CHP received a call at 1:17 a.m. initially reporting incorrectly that an accident took place on the connector ramp between Interstate Highway 280 and Highway 101, CHP Officer Ralph Caggiano said.
With the correct location obtained at 1:24 a.m., officers responded to the scene of the hit-and-run crash and found a fatally injured unidentified male driver in a 1999 Saturn, Caggiano said.
According to the report, a 2003 Honda traveling along I-680 at an unknown speed closed in on the Saturn while approaching the connector. For reasons unknown, the driver of the Honda rammed the Saturn, causing it to roll onto its roof before coming to a rest across both lanes of the ramp.
The unidentified driver of the Honda fled on foot, leaving the vehicle blocking traffic, which prompted a Sig-alert at 1:38 a.m.
The overturned Saturn leaked a small amount of fuel onto the roadway that was swiftly cleaned up by fire crews, Caggiano said.
Both lanes of traffic re-opened more than three hours later. Subsequently, the Sig-alert was cancelled at 4:30 a.m.
In its ongoing investigation, the CHP has yet to determine if alcohol was a factor in the collision.
san jose, I-680, highway 101, car crash, crime, hit and run, south bay news
- Man killed after metal pipe crashes into car on I-580
- Officials: All accounted for after Oklahoma tornado 20 min ago
- Surprise sting targets passenger vehicles at SFO 1 min ago
- Cause of grass fire in San Jose under investigation 53 min ago
- Overhead wire problems disrupt service on Muni
- Immigrant families disappointed by Feintsein's vote 1 min ago
- UK officials: Radical Islam drives London attack
- Super Bowl 50 bid committee returns to Bay Area 15 min ago
- Dealers in training ahead of new casino opening 50 min ago
- Stray pony found wandering Richmond's Iron Triangle 37 min ago
- Snacking deputy's crash costs Santa Clara Co. $5M
- abcnews: Top 10 highest-paid CEOs
- roundup: Harvey Milk events; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday 40 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
28 min ago
- Officials: All accounted for after Oklahoma...
20 min ago
- Dealers in training ahead of new casino...
50 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos