South Bay News
Corrections officer arrested on drug charges
GILROY, Calif. -- A state Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation officer was arrested in Gilroy Tuesday on suspicion of providing drugs and cell phones to inmates at Salinas Valley State Prison.
Sergio Javier Noguera, a 38-year-old Salinas man, was arrested at 10:30 p.m. Tuesday when he showed up for a meeting with undercover detectives at Leavesley Road near U.S. Highway 101 in Gilroy, Santa Clara County sheriff's Sgt. Rick Sung said.
The detectives had disguised themselves as the inmates' outside sources, and Noguera was expecting them to give him an ounce of methamphetamine, an ounce of heroin, 3.5 ounces of marijuana, four cell phones and $2,500 in cash for delivering the items, Sung said.
Noguera was arrested without incident, bringing a six-month investigation to a close. The investigation started after an informant told authorities that Noguera was providing the narcotics and cell phones to inmates, Sung said.
The prison had already launched an internal investigation of Noguera, and assisted sheriff's detectives during their investigation.
He is in custody on $130,000 bail on suspicion of possession of controlled substances.
The case "is detrimental to the law enforcement community, but this is a clear example of how we police on our own, and hold ourselves to a higher standard," Sung said.
Anyone with information about the case is encouraged to contact Santa Clara County sheriff's detectives during business hours at (408) 808-4770. During non-business hours, call (408) 808-4410.
drugs, santa clara county, crime, salinas, south bay news
- SJ store owner get $1M for selling winning ticket 19 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- 11 injured in oven explosion at Santa Rita Jail
- Fire at metal plant doesn't help hazy skies
- SFPD search underway for suspects in ATM heist
- Wonder Girl to take on Vallejo after Batkid saved SF
- Weather to help crews battling Big Sur blaze
- Results of Consumer Reports car reliability survey
- School marching band hit by robber gets big donation 6 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air Alert called through Wednesday
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: OPD gets new SUVs; Big Sur fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday