South Bay News
12,000 people register for San Jose Turkey Trot
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A record number of people have registered to walk, jog and run in this year's Thanksgiving Day Turkey Trot in San Jose on Thursday morning.
Nearly 12,000 participants -- up from about 10,600 last year -- will have the opportunity to run, walk or even push themselves in wheelchairs in five events that begin at 6:30 a.m. at Guadalupe River Park.
The sixth annual Turkey Trot is sponsored by Applied Materials, a technology company, spokeswoman Patricia Vera said.
"A lot of the participants have made it a family tradition in the short amount of time we've been hosting it in San Jose," Vera said of the increasing number of trotters.
The program has raised more than $1 million for charities since it began in 2004. Organizers have a goal of raising $350,000 this year, Vera said.
Each event has an entrance fee, ranging from $10 for the Lucile Packard Children's Hospital "Kids Fun Run" to $500 for the "CEO/Celebrity 5K Challenge."
All proceeds beyond those needed to cover the Turkey Trot's organization expenses go to local charities.
Money raised will go to Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo counties, the Housing Trust of Santa Clara County, and the Children's Health Initiative of the Santa Clara Family Health Foundation.
san jose, south bay news
- Officials investigating acid spill at Tesoro refinery
- Family mourns young woman killed by tree
- Wounded police officer back in surgery
- Conn. shooter's dad: 'You can't get any more evil'
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on Force rashes 46 min ago
- 5-year-old boy, babysitter struck by car in crosswalk 43 min ago
- Petaluma foster home in danger of closing
- Stars raise money for SF children's hospital
- Man gets prison time in laser-pointer case
- Bill introduced to have utilities develop security plan
- Petaluma police searching for suspected drive-thru thief
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- roundup: Tesoro chemical spill; SOMA fire
- Fitbit users still looking for answers on...
46 min ago