South Bay News
Reed selects Nguyen as interim SJ vice mayor
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed announced this week that he has nominated a successor to Vice Mayor Judy Chirco, whose term on the City Council expires at the end of December.
Councilmember Madison Nguyen, who was first elected to represent the City's seventh district in 2005, is Reed's choice for Chirco's interim replacement, he announced Wednesday.
Nguyen has served on multiple committees, task forces, and advisory boards, but Reed said he selected her for support of his budget and fiscal reform initiatives.
"I value her advice and she will be a key person in finding solutions to the serious problems we face," Reed said in a statement.
Nguyen currently serves as the chairwoman of the Public Safety, Finance and Strategic Support committee; is a member of the mayor's gang prevention task force; sits on the San Jose-Santa Clara Water Treatment Plant Advisory Committee; and serves on the Silicon Valley Rapid Transit Policy Advisory Board, which considers matters related to BART.
Before she was elected to the City Council in 2005, Nguyen served as the president of the Franklin-McKinley Board of Education and taught sociology and Vietnamese American culture at De Anza and Evergeen Valley colleges.
According to the San Jose city charter, the vice mayor is to be elected by the City Council at its second January meeting, scheduled for Jan. 25.
Because Chirco will leave office Dec. 31, Reed designated Nguyen as an interim vice mayor for the term from Jan. 1 through Jan. 25.
san jose, chuck reed, south bay news
- Tornado in Oklahoma City suburb kills 51
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Bay Area residents in DC protest against banks
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison
- 5-year-old killed in rollover crash in Richmond
- 4-alarm grass fire burns 8 acres in Orinda
- Teen dead, 2 injured in East Palo Alto shooting
- Vallejo fire leaves one person hospitalized
- Silver Creek HS sophomore killed in bike accident
- Gov. Brown cites safety in possible bridge delay
- NFL owners set to decide Super Bowl L site Tuesday
- roundup: Mountain lion spotted; Palo Alto murder
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday