South Bay News
Missing hiker found in Santa Cruz Mountains
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (KGO) -- A woman missing for six days in the Santa Cruz Mountains was in the hospital Sunday morning after being rescued from her ordeal.
Her family and friends had feared the worst. 58-year-old Debra Collins was found along an unmarked trail in Fall Creek State Park which is located off Highway 9 near Ben Lomand and Felton. She was carried out of the rugged mountains Saturday, hungry and suffering from hypothermia.
Collins got lost while hiking alone, last week. She did not have any food, but told rescuers she survived by drinking water from a creek. The Santa Cruz Sheriff's Department said a full-scale search was not feasible, so Collin's neighbor went looking for her and found her huddled under a downed tree.
"She had a little plastic bag in her pocket and she said she would use that to drink water, but no, it sounded like she didn't eat anything during that whole time," said rescuer Joachim "Joe" DeGuara.
A friend of Collins says she injured her ankle while running along a path and tumbled into a ravine. She was unable to get out and ended up taking shelter until she was found.
santa cruz mountains, missing person, search and rescue, south bay news
- Oklahoma tornado was top-of-the-scale EF-5 3 min ago
- Search continues for man after Bay to Breakers
- Apple's Cook faces Senate questions on taxes
- Arias tells jury what she'll do if allowed to live 17 min ago
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma City area
- UC hospitals say patients safe despite strike
- More than 100 gas grills put to the test
- Obama opposes GOP bill on Keystone XL pipeline 25 min ago
- Senate panel approves weapons for Syrian rebels 28 min ago
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison
- Photos: San Jose Sharks fan pics!
- abcnews: Hero teacher covered students with body 12 min ago
- roundup: Bay Area Super Bowl; Antioch fire 20 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
- Crews search for survivors after Oklahoma...
34 min ago
- Oklahoma tornado survivors counting blessings
24 min ago