South Bay News
Cow rescued from well in Castro Valley
CASTRO VALLEY, Calif. -- A pregnant cow that was stuck in a well in Castro Valley this morning has been rescued, an Alameda County fire spokeswoman said.
The fire department was notified at 8:47 a.m. that a cow had fallen into a 12-foot well on a residential property at 6421 Sunnyslope Ave., off of East Castro Valley Boulevard near Interstate Highway 580, spokeswoman Aisha Knowles said.
Firefighters, sheriff's deputies and animal control officers responded, drained the water from the well and requested a crane from the county public works department, Knowles said.
When the crane arrived, a sheriff's deputy and a firefighter climbed down into the well, which Knowles said is about 10 feet wide, and attached ropes and a harness to the animal.
As the rescue was under way, one of her calves wandered over and "tried to come close to the well to see what was going on with his mother," Knowles said.
She was finally lifted to safety shortly before 11 a.m. A local veterinarian checked out the cow and determined that she was uninjured.
"She's currently grazing and eating breakfast," Knowles said.
The property owner was at the scene the entire time and was "overjoyed" when the cow was rescued, Knowles said.
A barrier has now been erected around the well.
animals in peril, castro valley, south bay news
- Strong earthquake strikes off Papua New Guinea
- San Francisco officer injured in crash after pursuit
- Confirmed death toll in ferry disaster climbs to 33
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- CHP officer struck by hit-and-run driver on Highway 101 50 min ago
- Young Oakland woman dies at Coachella music fest 27 min ago
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Car hits SF bus stop, seriously injuring woman
- Scratch lotto ticket bought in Milpitas worth $1.3M
- Counties tell Brown they need money for his law 54 min ago
- California regulators propose coyote-killing ban 15 min ago
- Mechanic cashes in on SF's high real estate market
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Fatal shooting in Concord; Piedmont landslide 3 min ago