South Bay News
Cow rescued from well in Castro Valley
CASTRO VALLEY, Calif. -- A pregnant cow that was stuck in a well in Castro Valley this morning has been rescued, an Alameda County fire spokeswoman said.
The fire department was notified at 8:47 a.m. that a cow had fallen into a 12-foot well on a residential property at 6421 Sunnyslope Ave., off of East Castro Valley Boulevard near Interstate Highway 580, spokeswoman Aisha Knowles said.
Firefighters, sheriff's deputies and animal control officers responded, drained the water from the well and requested a crane from the county public works department, Knowles said.
When the crane arrived, a sheriff's deputy and a firefighter climbed down into the well, which Knowles said is about 10 feet wide, and attached ropes and a harness to the animal.
As the rescue was under way, one of her calves wandered over and "tried to come close to the well to see what was going on with his mother," Knowles said.
She was finally lifted to safety shortly before 11 a.m. A local veterinarian checked out the cow and determined that she was uninjured.
"She's currently grazing and eating breakfast," Knowles said.
The property owner was at the scene the entire time and was "overjoyed" when the cow was rescued, Knowles said.
A barrier has now been erected around the well.
animals in peril, castro valley, south bay news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin 44 min ago
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- Last minute Christmas shopping is in full swing
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos