South Bay News
Security breech at SJ Mineta causes backup
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A San Jose Mineta International Airport terminal was locked down for more than two hours tonight when a woman waiting for a flight left the secure area and tried to re-enter without going through the screening checkpoint, a San Jose police officer said.
The 22-year-old woman was arrested at about 8:30 p.m. after she left Terminal B during a layover and tried to return through the exit, Officer Jose Garcia said.
The woman started out in Dallas but had arrived in San Jose on a flight from Phoenix. She was waiting to catch another plane to Orange County when she somehow left the secure area, Garcia said.
She tried to return through the exit and was detained by Transportation Security Administration officials.
The woman said she had a ticket and a flight to catch, but officials wouldn't let her return, Garcia said.
The terminal immediately went into lockdown mode, and everybody had to clear the area while officials searched for possible weapons, Garcia said.
The sweep was finished at about 11 p.m., and everyone was allowed back inside.
San Jose police cited the woman for misdemeanor trespassing under a law that addresses people who violate security checkpoints at airports, Garcia said.
The TSA is not taking any additional action against her, he said.
One flight that was destined for San Diego was cancelled as a result of the lockdown, Garcia said.
san jose, mineta san jose international airport, south bay news
- Several aftershocks felt after 5.7 quake in Greenville 12 min ago
- I-5 bridge collapse caused by truck hitting span
- Czech police: Palo Alto man suspected in 4 murders
- New details released in police officers' murders
- BART board votes to relax rush hour bike ban 52 min ago
- Magnitude 8.2 earthquake hits Russia's Far East
- New info released about robbery in Santa Rosa
- Gov. Brown keeps pressing climate change crusade
- TIME publishes Obama prom photo, yearbook message
- Caltrans shows fix for broken Bay Bridge bolts
- Oakland's real estate market heats up
- abcnews: New bill would allow pets on Amtrak
- roundup: Bicyclist killed in SF; Body in canal ID'd 29 min ago
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
18 min ago