South Bay News
Woman fatally struck while crossing road in Salinas
SALINAS, Calif. -- A woman was fatally struck by a vehicle in a hit-and-run in Salinas on Friday evening, authorities said.
Simona Fletes-Ocon, 56, was struck at about 5:40 p.m. while crossing Williams Road at Quilla Street, according to the Monterey County coroner's office.
Fletes-Ocon, a Salinas resident, was taken to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead at 6:11 p.m., according to the coroner's office.
Salinas police determined she was struck while pushing a shopping cart full of plastic recyclables across the street in a marked crosswalk.
A vehicle in a southbound lane on Williams Road stopped to let her cross, but another car continued past the stopped car and struck Fletes-Ocon.
Witnesses provided a limited suspect vehicle description, and later Friday, investigators found a vehicle matching the description in the 1000 block of North Davis Road.
A 73-year-old man who was allegedly driving the vehicle was questioned by police and later released.
The investigation is ongoing and will be submitted to the Monterey County District Attorney's Office to determine if charges will be filed, according to police.
An autopsy will be conducted by the coroner's office on Tuesday to determine the official cause of death.
salinas, south bay news
- Mold forces firefighters to evacuate TI firehouse
- UC system issues new policy to handle sexual assaults
- Husband arrested in cold case murder of SJ woman
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- 10-year-old San Leandro boy found safe
- Malaysia loses contact with plane carrying 239
- Salesforce celebrates birthday with fundraiser party
- Oakland school locked down after report of assault
- Little girl donates hair to cancer patients
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Homeowners blame Caltrain for rising flood insurance
- Special ed cheerleading squad thrills Livermore HS
- Wheel of Fortune is in Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- Stanford grad wins big deal on "Shark Tank"
50 min ago