South Bay News
Santa Cruz Ice Cream shop owners invited to Washington
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (KGO) -- President Barack Obama will deliver his annual State of the Union message Tuesday night and a couple from Santa Cruz will be there as guests of first lady Michelle Obama.
Kendra Baker and Zachary Davis opened the Penny Ice Creamery last year. Their store makes and sells organic, homemade ice cream.
They received a loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration as part of the federal stimulus package to jump start their dream. The president plans to focus his speech on creating jobs and expanding the economy.
"My number one focus is going to be making sure that we are competitive, that we are growing, and that we are creating jobs, not just now, but well into the future," said Obama.
Congressman Paul Ryan of Wisconsin will deliver the GOP's response to the president's speech.
Ryan chairs the House Budget Committee and he's considered to be a rising, Republican star.
santa cruz, jobs, stimulus funds, joe biden, barack obama, south bay news
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Peninsula cold case murders linked to Reno killing
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Fire that injured 2 under investigation in SJ
- Lockdown lifted at Monterey Peninsula College 12 min ago
- Blind man survives getting run over by train
- Water pours from top of San Francisco high-rise
- Danville teen killed in Highway 24 crash identified
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- Lonely Michigan boy gets surprise party on GMA
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday