South Bay News
Santa Cruz Ice Cream shop owners invited to Washington
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (KGO) -- President Barack Obama will deliver his annual State of the Union message Tuesday night and a couple from Santa Cruz will be there as guests of first lady Michelle Obama.
Kendra Baker and Zachary Davis opened the Penny Ice Creamery last year. Their store makes and sells organic, homemade ice cream.
They received a loan from the U.S. Small Business Administration as part of the federal stimulus package to jump start their dream. The president plans to focus his speech on creating jobs and expanding the economy.
"My number one focus is going to be making sure that we are competitive, that we are growing, and that we are creating jobs, not just now, but well into the future," said Obama.
Congressman Paul Ryan of Wisconsin will deliver the GOP's response to the president's speech.
Ryan chairs the House Budget Committee and he's considered to be a rising, Republican star.
santa cruz, jobs, stimulus funds, joe biden, barack obama, south bay news
- Deputy saves man from fiery crash in Oakland
- DEA wages war on synthetic drugs sold on Internet
- Journals show students' despair, hope
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Family holds prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Caltrans says Bay Bridge bolt problem fixed
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition
- San Francisco considers ban on bottled water
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 27 min ago
- UC proposes plan to prevent deer, car collisions
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Foreclosure program; Plastic water bottle ban
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
28 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos