South Bay News
Chris Moore announced as new SJ police chief
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- San Jose's acting police chief is now the real thing. The City Council Tuesday unanimously approved the city manager's choice of an insider for the job of top cop. Chief Chris Moore is now making a point of reaching out to those who did not want him to get the job.
"I ask that you view my appointment as a new beginning, a new start; as an opportunity to build upon the dialogue we created during the selection process," Moore said.
A coalition of community activists concerned about racial profiling and excessive use of force wanted Oakland police Chief Anthony Batts to take the helm in San Jose, but Batts became the city manager's second choice.
"My only goal was to ensure that we found the best chief for the city of San Jose and we've done that," Debra Figone said.
Tuesday, the City Council gave Moore a standing ovation and their unanimous support. The new department leader will oversee 1,245 sworn officers and faces a call for change.
"We want to see the interaction between the officer and say a young person here in downtown change as a result in this shift in leadership," Coalition for Justice and Accountability spokesperson Raj Jayadev said.
The independent police auditor says she too expects a new era of accountability.
"I expect you have the courage to do what is right no matter how uncomfortable doing what is right may make you feel," LaDoris Cordell said.
Moore has already made the historic move of appointing a woman, Diane Urban, to be his assistant chief. Tuesday, he announced he will also set up a system to better track complaints about police bias and establish a community advisory board that will include those critical of the department.
"There are a number of ways we can improve but part of it is establishing a relationship with me and then day to day relationship with officers," Moore said.
Mayor Chuck Reed says Moore has committed to being San Jose's police chief for the next four years.
san jose, south bay news, karina rusk
- Collapse feared at site of massive Mission Bay fire
- 7 people dead in New York gas explosion 13 min ago
- Navy's new warship will travel to SF for Fleet Week
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- SF policeinvestigating shooting in the Outer Mission 18 min ago
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- No fault in how Children's Hospital handled gir's surgeries
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos