South Bay News
Police arrest two suspects wanted for murder in Chico
GILROY, Calif. -- Police in Gilroy arrested two suspects Saturday morning who were wanted for a murder in Chico earlier this week.
The suspects, whose names are not yet being released, were arrested Saturday morning at a home in the 7000 block of Monterey Road in Gilroy, police said.
The suspects were sought for their alleged role in the death of Jose Barajas Sanchez, 21, whose body was found under a bridge in Chico on Thursday, according to Chico police.
Chico police held $1 million warrants for the arrests of the suspects, and alerted Gilroy police on Friday evening that they were believed to be in the area.
Police, including a SWAT team, were called to serve the warrants at the Monterey Road home at about 7 a.m. today. Due to the violent nature of the crime, nearby homes and businesses were evacuated and roadways were closed, according to police.
Gilroy police also utilized a new BearCat tactical armored vehicle, which they used to protect themselves while calling for the suspects to exit the home.
Several people exited the home and were detained by police, but the two suspects initially continued to disregard the commands, police said.
After about three hours, the suspects exited the home and were arrested without incident, according to police.
Chico police detectives were en route to Gilroy this afternoon to continue their investigation into the murder, a dispatcher at that Police Department said.
gilroy, crime, south bay news
- SF 'landlords from hell' plead guilty to felonies
- Coast Guard rescues 4 people along San Mateo coast
- More victims in SF say teen girls robbed them 46 min ago
- Police enforce pedestrian safety with sting operation
- IT tech charged with stealing $400,000 in equipment 26 min ago
- Dog that killed 6-year-old boy euthanized
- ABC7 Top Scholar: Michael Yu
- Woman receives $130 billion FasTrack bill
- SF LGBT film festival marks 37 years amid SCOTUS rulings
- SF couple uses Task Rabbit, Airbnb apps for profit
- Men's Wearhouse ousts founder George Zimmer
- abcnews: Pope invites Down syndrome teen for a spin
- roundup: Potrero Hill stabbing; BART review
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday