South Bay News
4 injured in brawl outside San Jose McDonald's
SAN JOSE (KGO) -- San Jose police are investigating a brawl outside a McDonald's restaurant Thursday night that injured four people. Two of them were stabbed. The fight took place right in the parking lot, and police say those involved were mostly African-American and Hispanic teens.
Police say a warm evening turned into all out melee in downtown after a fun summer concert. About 60 people were involved in the fight. Police aren't saying whether this was gang related, but they did tell ABC7 gang members were involved.
The fight broke up after officers patrolling the area saw the fight; it was then that people fled in every direction. Police say the teens that were stabbed are expected to survive. They also say they will be stepping up patrols in the area and will work with local business owners to prevent this from happening again.
"The concern about this is just, first of all, that that number of people were involved in a melee in downtown after an event," said San Jose Police Chief Chris Moore. "It's a concern for us, so we're going to be obviously spending more time talking about security at the event and then after the event. That's important."
The concert in the park series kicked off last week and will continue through the summer. Moore did not know if the people involved in brawl actually attended the concert, but it did take place just a few blocks away after the concert ended.
With the city's homicide rate already exceeding last year's total, and the police department facing cutbacks, Moore says he is nervous. However, investigators were out Friday to interview witnesses from the night before and to gather any video of the brawl.
san jose, mcdonalds, crime, south bay news
- Security heightened at 2013 Bay to Breakers in SF
- Report: Corrosion a problem on new Bay Bridge
- NFL set to vote if Bay Area will host Super Bowl
- Tejay van Garderen wins Tour of California
- Woman suspected of starting brush fire arrested
- Man falls from building during Bay to Breakers party
- Tornado levels homes in Oklahoma City trailer park
- 2 men arrested in killing teen over iPad in Las Vegas
- Girl killed, parents hurt by shots fired into home
- Startups use Netflix rental model for clothing, jewelry
- Apps help protect your smartphone from snoops
- abcnews: SEAL auctions bin Laden raid knife
- roundup: Fairfield shooting; Redwood City fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos