South Bay News
Two new parking lots open at Mineta SJ Airport
MINETA SAN JOSE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (KGO) -- Two new parking lots have opened at Mineta San Jose International Airport as part of an $8.8 million makeover.
The two new lots just south Terminal B will add a little more than 1,500 new parking spots within walking distance of the Terminal B, which handles most of the passengers going out of San Jose. The new lots are hourly and daily. Parking rates are $2 for every half hour, up to $30 a day in the hourly lot.
If you travel out of Mineta San Jose International Airport during peak times you know it can be a mess. There's a seven story garage right across from Terminal B, but the only public parking is on the ground floor and there are fewer than 300 spots. The remaining floors are all for rental cars. So what happens is people drive in, can't find a spot, and then drive out and gum up the lanes outside the terminal. The new lots are supposed to ease that.
There are other changes; beginning Friday, the long term lot on the west side of the airport will close and on Monday, the lot just south of the rental garage will become a daily lot.
The renovations come at a time of declining travel at San Jose; about 8 million passengers came through a year ago, that's down about 6 million from the boom times 11 years ago.
san jose, mineta san jose international airport, south bay news
- Victim of 2009 Richmond gang rape takes stand
- Muni driver honored for actions after shooting 57 min ago
- City says 'parklet' in Haight-Ashbury must go
- Man arrested after fatal crash in San Jose
- 2 wildfires burning in Central Sierra foothills
- Charges filed against man in naked BART attack
- Caltrain reopens after police talk man off ledge
- Bicyclist struck, killed by hit-and-run driver
- Patient attacks nurse at Napa State Hospital
- SF taxi driver chokes, robs passenger over tip
- Flooding renews call for new Oakland A's stadium
- abcnews: Putin accused of stealing Super Bowl ring
- roundup: Burglaries in Livermore; Cabbie robs fare
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday