South Bay News
Two new parking lots open at Mineta SJ Airport
MINETA SAN JOSE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (KGO) -- Two new parking lots have opened at Mineta San Jose International Airport as part of an $8.8 million makeover.
The two new lots just south Terminal B will add a little more than 1,500 new parking spots within walking distance of the Terminal B, which handles most of the passengers going out of San Jose. The new lots are hourly and daily. Parking rates are $2 for every half hour, up to $30 a day in the hourly lot.
If you travel out of Mineta San Jose International Airport during peak times you know it can be a mess. There's a seven story garage right across from Terminal B, but the only public parking is on the ground floor and there are fewer than 300 spots. The remaining floors are all for rental cars. So what happens is people drive in, can't find a spot, and then drive out and gum up the lanes outside the terminal. The new lots are supposed to ease that.
There are other changes; beginning Friday, the long term lot on the west side of the airport will close and on Monday, the lot just south of the rental garage will become a daily lot.
The renovations come at a time of declining travel at San Jose; about 8 million passengers came through a year ago, that's down about 6 million from the boom times 11 years ago.
san jose, mineta san jose international airport, south bay news
- Bay Area braces for coldest night of the cold snap
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Harding makes 37 saves, Wild beat Sharks 3-1
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos