South Bay News
Two new parking lots open at Mineta SJ Airport
MINETA SAN JOSE INTERNATIONAL AIRPORT (KGO) -- Two new parking lots have opened at Mineta San Jose International Airport as part of an $8.8 million makeover.
The two new lots just south Terminal B will add a little more than 1,500 new parking spots within walking distance of the Terminal B, which handles most of the passengers going out of San Jose. The new lots are hourly and daily. Parking rates are $2 for every half hour, up to $30 a day in the hourly lot.
If you travel out of Mineta San Jose International Airport during peak times you know it can be a mess. There's a seven story garage right across from Terminal B, but the only public parking is on the ground floor and there are fewer than 300 spots. The remaining floors are all for rental cars. So what happens is people drive in, can't find a spot, and then drive out and gum up the lanes outside the terminal. The new lots are supposed to ease that.
There are other changes; beginning Friday, the long term lot on the west side of the airport will close and on Monday, the lot just south of the rental garage will become a daily lot.
The renovations come at a time of declining travel at San Jose; about 8 million passengers came through a year ago, that's down about 6 million from the boom times 11 years ago.
san jose, mineta san jose international airport, south bay news
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont 36 min ago
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire 59 min ago
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Good Samaritan alerts family to burning home
- Avalanche sweeps down Everest, killing at least 12
- Consumer Reports cracks which eggs to buy
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring
- Man found fatally shot in Concord
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Berkeley fire estimate; Mount Tam body
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
59 min ago