South Bay News
Santa Clara Co. DUIs up over weekend
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Independence Day weekend Friday DUI arrests were up this year in Santa Clara County compared to last year, according to the sheriff's office.
Officers from 15 law enforcement agencies in the county arrested 17 people on suspicion of DUI from 12:01 a.m. to 11:59 p.m. Friday, the sheriff's office said.
There were 12 DUI arrests during the same period last year.
No fatalities were reported in Santa Clara County on Friday of this year, as was the case in 2010, according to provisional numbers.
This year's arrests were a combination of local traffic enforcement and special Avoid the 13 DUI deployments.
Extra DUI saturation patrols will be deployed today Milpitas, Palo Alto, Cupertino, Saratoga, Los Altos Hills and San Jose, the sheriff's office said.
The program is funded by a grant from the California Office of Traffic Safety, through the National Highway Safety Administration.
DUI, santa clara county, south bay news
- Family: Children's Hospital calls girl 'dead'
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- BART Board president wants to ban transit strikes
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- Garbage truck fatally strikes man in Tenderloin 20 min ago
- Car crashes into San Jose home this morning
- SFFD battle 1-alarm blaze near the Panhandle
- San Jose charity 3,000 short of toy distribution goal 13 min ago
- '628' area code to begin in '415' region in 2015
- VIRAL VIDEO: Oscars® Trailer: Ellen...
- abcnews: Dancing doctor gets tickets to Beyonce show
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: CPUC fines PG&E; Homeless memorial
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos