South Bay News
Sprinkler malfunction causes parking lot flood
MILPITAS, Calif. -- A broken sprinkler caused minor flooding in a parking lot at the Great Mall in Milpitas this morning, a fire battalion chief said.
A fire protection sprinkler company was doing a routine sprinkler test when a valve malfunctioned and flooded a parking lot at the mall, located at 447 Great Mall Drive, around 9 a.m.
The affected lot is near the Century 20 movie theater and the Outback Steakhouse restaurant, fire Battalion Chief Melvin Vaughn said.
The fire department came out to unclog drains and let the sunshine soak up the rest of the water, Vaughn said.
The water was streaming out for only a couple of minutes, Great Mall spokesman Scott Dobrowski said.
"It didn't disrupt anyone's shopping," he said.
There was no damage to any businesses, Vaughn said.
flooding, milpitas, south bay news
- 6.9 earthquake rattles Northern California
- Man suspected of shooting SF police officer arrested
- East Bay residents warned after EBMUD truck stolen
- Wolff: Temporary baseball stadium for A's possible
- Fremont firefighters investigate three suspicious fires 42 min ago
- All lanes clear on I-80 in Vacaville after fatal crash
- Teenage boy killed trying to walk across Highway 85
- Tucson courting car maker Tesla for 6,500 jobs
- Gov. Brown booed by anti-fracking protesters
- Toddler uses FaceTime to save mom after dog attack
- '300' sequel rules box office with $45.1M debut
- Thousands audition for Wheel of Fortune in NorCal
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Surfer rescued; Fatal Oakland crash 20 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
5 min ago