South Bay News
San Jose fights to save redevelopment agency
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- The fight is on to protect what many cities consider a vital economic stimulus tool. The city of San Jose is joining a lawsuit to save redevelopment agencies, all threatened because of massive state budget cuts.
A 126-page lawsuit was filed with the California Supreme Court Monday. The California Redevelopment Association and the League of California Cities says what the state is trying to do violates Proposition 22 which was passed by 61 percent of the voters and makes it illegal for the state to seize or redirect monies dedicated to local governments.
The upgrades and improvements at San Jose's historic Civic Center may be the last big project the city's redevelopment agency ever completes. The $11.4 million in renovations started in 2008 and are just finishing up just as the redevelopment agency fights to survive.
The California Redevelopment Association filed a lawsuit with the state Supreme Court arguing the budget deal that eliminates the state's 400 redevelopment agencies is unconstitutional.
"It's an illegal way of going about doing something because what they're doing is redirecting monies," said San Jose City Attorney Rick Doyle. "At the end of the day, where those monies go is really the issue."
The state argues the Legislature created redevelopment agencies in 1945 and has the power to eliminate them. The complex budget deal that closed a $27 billion budget shortfall relies on $1.7 billion in property tax revenue that was allocated to redevelopment agencies and now must now be spent on schools.
"The fundamental issue here was can the state, given our state's fiscal situation, continue to business as usual and the Legislature said no," said H.D. Palmer, spokesperson for the State Department of Finance.
San Jose's redevelopment agency is responsible for projects ranging from the Tech Museum to affordable housing. The agency has gone from a staff of 90 people last year to just eight today. If nothing changes it will cease to exist altogether on Oct. 1.
"Us that are remaining, we are just going to proceed as we can until there's either no longer a redevelopment, or hopefully the lawsuit prevails and we come back slowly," said Richard Keith, the redevelopment agency's managing director. Because the clock is ticking on this issue, the lawsuit also seeks to block any changes to redevelopment agencies across the state until this lawsuit can be heard.
san jose, jobs, california supreme court, economy, south bay news, karina rusk
- Target apologizes after massive data breach 27 min ago
- Oakland family requests feeding tube for girl 1 min ago
- 'Duck Dynasty' fans react to Robertson's hiatus 25 min ago
- Deputy saves man after crash in Oakland
- Dozens hurt after London theater partially collapsed
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic kids on rise 45 min ago
- 1 dead, dozens hurt in California bus crashes
- Four boys cited for wielding replica pistol in Hercules
- Elderly woman punched in SF purse snatching
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby gorilla 30 min ago
- abcnews: Dennis Rodman does karaoke in NKorea
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Toy drive in need; Timeshare sales scam
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Report says bullying of American-Islamic...
45 min ago
- Only On 7: Sneak peek at the SF Zoo's baby...
30 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos