South Bay News
Mutilated barn owl found in Gilroy
GILROY, Calif. (KGO) -- A disturbing case of animal abuse surfaced on Wednesday.
A female barn owl was found mutilated in Gilroy. Bones and feathers under the wing were removed. It's a procedure called "pinioning" and animal experts say it essentially handicaps the bird.
Pinioning is performed to prevent birds from flying away, but will doom birds of prey.
Barn owls are a protected species and cannot be kept as pets without a special permit.
animals in peril, gilroy, south bay news
- Collapse feared at site of massive Mission Bay fire
- Parents rally after assaults at elementary schools
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug
- Report: Chinese site may show plane debris images
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Man accused of shooting SF police officer facing assault charges
- Strong winds destroy boats at Oyster Point
- Recall issued for Fitbit Force over skin problems
- Family's plea helps get dying boy experimental drug
- Florida police give 'ticket' to 2-year-old driver
- Best methods for brewing coffee at home
- roundup: Fatal motorcycle accident; Watsonville...
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
44 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos