South Bay News
Family Giving Tree plans to give away 18,000 backpacks
MILPITAS, Calif. (KGO) -- With the school year just a few weeks away, one Bay Area organization is making sure some kids have all the tools they need for success.
The Family Giving Tree plans on giving away up to 18,000 backpacks starting on Aug. 10. Thursday morning, volunteers were at the Milpitas warehouse stocking the backpacks with pencils, rulers, binders and other school supplies students need.
"If anything is missing, we have school supplies at the front of the building and they would just take those and make sure the backpack had as many of the essentials as possible," said Al Galan from the Family Giving Tree.
The backpacks and school supplies were donated by local companies from San Francisco to San Jose. Backpack donations will continue until Aug. 10.
milpitas, south bay news
- Collapse feared at site of massive 5-alarm fire in SF
- FBI searching for Bay Area bombing suspect
- India says Malaysia seeking help in search for jet 36 min ago
- Requests to carry concealed guns surges in Calif. 30 min ago
- Santa Cruz police arrest suspect in sexual assault
- Target apologizes for girl's bathing suit Photoshop fail
- Parents warned about new psychedelic drug 48 min ago
- Boat crashes into rocks near Oyster Point Marina 40 min ago
- San Jose police officer facing rape charges
- Groups protest chemicals used in iPhone 23 min ago
- Driver arrested after officer finds 128lbs of pot in van
- roundup: Bay Area winds; Great Highway closure
- abcnews: 'The Bachelor' Finale Full Recap
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Wednesday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos