South Bay News
Kidnapping attempts prompt warning from Gilroy cops
GILROY, Calif. -- Men have attempted to lure children away from their homes in Gilroy twice in recent weeks, police said.
In the first incident on July 26, a man driving a 1990s model two-door Honda pulled up in front of a home in the 7600 block of Miller Avenue around 5:35 p.m. and ordered a 10-year-old girl to get into his car, police said.
The girl, who was retrieving items out of her parents' car, which was parked in the driveway, ran into her home and told other family members.
The suspect in that incident is described as a Hispanic man around 30 years old with short hair, either balding or possibly a crew cut, and a goatee, who was wearing a white tank top and tan shorts. His car had the roof painted black, and was described as dirty.
In a second incident, which occurred at 2:49 p.m. Wednesday, a man in the 900 block of Ortega Circle tried to lure an 11-year-old boy, a 15-year-old girl and a 9-year-old girl to leave the area and come with him to a local restaurant, police said.
The children said no, and told a parent.
The suspect was last seen leaving the area on foot. He is described as a Hispanic man who is 20-25 years old, weighs about 160 pounds, and has shaved dark brown hair, a mustache, and brown eyes. He was wearing a gray T-shirt and khaki jeans, according to police.
A sketch has been released of the suspect in the July 26 incident. Police do not think the two incidents are linked at this time, but are urging parents to speak with their children about how to handle encounters with strangers.
Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Cpl. Jason Kadluboski at (408) 846-0350. Anonymous tips can be called in to We-Tip at (800) 782-7463.
crime, gilroy, south bay news
- Frigid temperatures continue in the Bay Area
- 18 LA sheriff's deputies face criminal charges
- Man held in N. Korea say statement was coerced 26 min ago
- Judge to determine if Oikos shooter fit to stand trial
- Female teacher arrested for sexually abusing student
- As student, Obama drew inspiration from Mandela
- Police seeking man who went missing from care home 29 min ago
- NTSB to highlight 'over-reliance' during Asiana hearings
- Little girl writes letter to store after breaking ornament
- Winter Spare the Air called through Tuesday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Rising tides; Teen shot in SF
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday 13 min ago
- Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday
14 min ago
- Vernon's View: "When we play them it's...
35 min ago
- Trial begins in Montana newlywed murder case
54 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos