South Bay News
Kidnapping attempts prompt warning from Gilroy cops
GILROY, Calif. -- Men have attempted to lure children away from their homes in Gilroy twice in recent weeks, police said.
In the first incident on July 26, a man driving a 1990s model two-door Honda pulled up in front of a home in the 7600 block of Miller Avenue around 5:35 p.m. and ordered a 10-year-old girl to get into his car, police said.
The girl, who was retrieving items out of her parents' car, which was parked in the driveway, ran into her home and told other family members.
The suspect in that incident is described as a Hispanic man around 30 years old with short hair, either balding or possibly a crew cut, and a goatee, who was wearing a white tank top and tan shorts. His car had the roof painted black, and was described as dirty.
In a second incident, which occurred at 2:49 p.m. Wednesday, a man in the 900 block of Ortega Circle tried to lure an 11-year-old boy, a 15-year-old girl and a 9-year-old girl to leave the area and come with him to a local restaurant, police said.
The children said no, and told a parent.
The suspect was last seen leaving the area on foot. He is described as a Hispanic man who is 20-25 years old, weighs about 160 pounds, and has shaved dark brown hair, a mustache, and brown eyes. He was wearing a gray T-shirt and khaki jeans, according to police.
A sketch has been released of the suspect in the July 26 incident. Police do not think the two incidents are linked at this time, but are urging parents to speak with their children about how to handle encounters with strangers.
Anyone with information is asked to call Detective Cpl. Jason Kadluboski at (408) 846-0350. Anonymous tips can be called in to We-Tip at (800) 782-7463.
crime, gilroy, south bay news
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- Female pedestrian fatally struck in Concord
- Two lanes of WB I-80 in SF blocked due to accident 24 min ago
- Marijuana grow found at San Jose house fire
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos