South Bay News
Laid off police officers invited to free circus show
SAN JOSE, Caif. -- Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey are inviting San Jose police officers who were laid off as a result of budget cuts to bring their families to the HP Pavilion on Thursday for a night out at the circus.
The company is extending an invitation to the discharged officers and their families as a token of appreciation for their service to the Police Department.
In June, 66 officers were dismissed due to San Jose's $115 million budget deficit. It was the first time in the Police Department's history that officers were laid off.
Brian Crawford Scott, the ringmaster and a native of San Jose, will honor the discharged officers with a welcoming speech prior to a 7:30 p.m. performance of the company's new production, "Fully Charged."
The event will kick off with an all access pre-show party at 6:30 p.m.
"Fully Charged" will play at the HP Pavilion through Sunday before moving on to the Cow Palace in Daly City from Sept. 1 through Sept. 5.
Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey will conclude the Bay Area portion of its tour at Oakland's Oracle Arena from Sept. 8 through Sept. 11.
san jose, SJPD, layoff, budget cuts, south bay news
- Oakland hospital ordered to keep girl on life support
- Woman hit by stray bullet may be paralyzed
- Senator Harry Reid in hospital for observation
- 'Wonder Girl' cancer patient is inspiration for Vallejo
- 1 injured in shooting at Bayfair Mall in San Leandro 6 min ago
- San Jose man charged in two violent sexual assaults 10 min ago
- AC Transit, unions announce tentative agreement
- BART makes no progress on contract talks
- What's next for Candlestick Point? 53 min ago
- Bay Area companies shop so you won't have to
- GET FREE STUFF: Cream cheese; Bracelet set
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Oakland shooting; DUI checkpoints
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- What's next for Candlestick Point?
53 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos