South Bay News
Two arrested over alleged carjacking of couple
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. -- Two men were arrested in unincorporated Watsonville early this morning after they allegedly carjacked a couple, according to the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office.
The carjacking occurred at about 2:55 a.m. in the area of Holohan Drive and Lakeview Road, sheriff's officials said.
The victims, a 35-year-old woman and 40-year-old man, told deputies a man approached their truck as they were making a turn at a nearby berry field.
The male victim, who was already disabled from a previous car accident, said the man opened the driver's door and punched him repeatedly, according to the sheriff's office.
The suspect demanded his vehicle and wallet and pulled the victim from the truck. He allegedly took the man's wallet, sweatpants and car and then punched the female victim who was sitting in the passenger seat in the face as she grabbed her purse.
A second suspect got into the passenger side of the truck and the two drove off, leaving both victims stranded in the field.
Watsonville police officers later saw the car in the 400 block of Second Street and briefly pursued the suspects.
The driver eventually pulled over and started running away, but he was caught and arrested. He was identified as Saul Aldana, 20, of Watsonville.
The suspect sitting in the passenger seat was also arrested. He was identified as Edwin Gutierrez, 22, of Salinas.
Both were booked into Santa Cruz County Jail on suspicion of carjacking and auto theft.
The victim's stolen property was recovered, sheriff's officials said.
crime, carjacking, watsonville, south bay news
- Teen survives flight from SJC to Hawaii in wheel well
- PG&E to be arraigned in fatal San Bruno blast 5 min ago
- Good Samaritan pulls boy from water in San Leandro
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
- Barricaded man taken into custody in San Jose
- Kraft recalls 96,000 pounds of Oscar Mayer wieners 12 min ago
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- At least 10 arrested at "420" celebration in SF
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Posey, Lincecum lead San Francisco Giants to 4-3 win
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
- roundup: Fatal shooting in Concord; Piedmont landslide