South Bay News
Controlled burn to make Morgan Hill area smoky
MORGAN HILL, Calif. -- Henry Coe State Park will be the site of a prescribed burn on Monday and Tuesday, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection said Saturday.
The "Western Zone Complex" prescribed burn will take place -- pending weather conditions and approval from the Bay Area Air Quality District - on Middle Ridge Trail off of Hobbs Road, approximately eight miles northeast of Morgan Hill, CAL FIRE said.
Prescribed burns have been performed for decades and carry many benefits for public and natural resources, including watershed improvement, enhanced wildlife habitat and protection against large, damaging wildland fires, according to CAL FIRE.
Fire personnel said smoke would be visible from most Bay Area counties and possibly from Interstate Highway 5.
morgan hill, cal fire, south bay news
- Water main break floods Castro Valley neighborhood 27 min ago
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man
- Cal students led move toward divestment
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Local schools race to keep up with technology
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl
- New option studied for treating back pain
- SF man calls 7 On Your Side to help in luggage mixup
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday