South Bay News
Controlled burn to make Morgan Hill area smoky
MORGAN HILL, Calif. -- Henry Coe State Park will be the site of a prescribed burn on Monday and Tuesday, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection said Saturday.
The "Western Zone Complex" prescribed burn will take place -- pending weather conditions and approval from the Bay Area Air Quality District - on Middle Ridge Trail off of Hobbs Road, approximately eight miles northeast of Morgan Hill, CAL FIRE said.
Prescribed burns have been performed for decades and carry many benefits for public and natural resources, including watershed improvement, enhanced wildlife habitat and protection against large, damaging wildland fires, according to CAL FIRE.
Fire personnel said smoke would be visible from most Bay Area counties and possibly from Interstate Highway 5.
morgan hill, cal fire, south bay news
- I-5 bridge collapses into Washington's Skagit River 21 min ago
- Preliminary 5.7 earthquake hits Northern California 40 min ago
- New details released in police officers' murders 18 min ago
- Bicyclist killed in accident with garbage truck in SF
- Report: Most California beaches had clean water in 2012
- Gov. Brown keeps pressing climate change crusade
- Video: America's Cup teams practice on San... 32 min ago
- TIME publishes Obama prom photo, yearbook message
- Caltrans shows fix for broken Bay Bridge bolts
- Oakland's real estate market heats up
- Ohio kidnap case hero gets free McDonald's food
- abcnews: New bill would allow pets on Amtrak
- roundup: BART bike vote; Gov. climate change
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- America's Cup teams practice on San...
32 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed VideoMost Viewed Photos