South Bay News
Controlled burn to make Morgan Hill area smoky
MORGAN HILL, Calif. -- Henry Coe State Park will be the site of a prescribed burn on Monday and Tuesday, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection said Saturday.
The "Western Zone Complex" prescribed burn will take place -- pending weather conditions and approval from the Bay Area Air Quality District - on Middle Ridge Trail off of Hobbs Road, approximately eight miles northeast of Morgan Hill, CAL FIRE said.
Prescribed burns have been performed for decades and carry many benefits for public and natural resources, including watershed improvement, enhanced wildlife habitat and protection against large, damaging wildland fires, according to CAL FIRE.
Fire personnel said smoke would be visible from most Bay Area counties and possibly from Interstate Highway 5.
morgan hill, cal fire, south bay news
- Damage reported after 5.7 quake in Greenville
- I-5 bridge collapse raises Bay Area safety questions
- Bay Area man arrested for killing relatives abroad
- Boy Scouts approve plan to accept openly gay boys
- Millions to hit the roads this Memorial Day weekend
- Rare Apple computer could fetch $640k at auction
- New info released about robbery in Santa Rosa
- Teen remembered 19 years after unsolved murder
- Clayton resident ID'd as bicyclist killed in SF
- Top 10 items found during 2012 coastal cleanup
- Get Free Stuff: Coffee; Shampoo
- abcnews: McDonald's CEO scolded by 9-year-old
- roundup: Unsolved murder vigil; Oakland shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday