South Bay News
Controlled burn to make Morgan Hill area smoky
MORGAN HILL, Calif. -- Henry Coe State Park will be the site of a prescribed burn on Monday and Tuesday, the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection said Saturday.
The "Western Zone Complex" prescribed burn will take place -- pending weather conditions and approval from the Bay Area Air Quality District - on Middle Ridge Trail off of Hobbs Road, approximately eight miles northeast of Morgan Hill, CAL FIRE said.
Prescribed burns have been performed for decades and carry many benefits for public and natural resources, including watershed improvement, enhanced wildlife habitat and protection against large, damaging wildland fires, according to CAL FIRE.
Fire personnel said smoke would be visible from most Bay Area counties and possibly from Interstate Highway 5.
morgan hill, cal fire, south bay news
- Three-year-old boy thrown from fire in Hayward
- Cyberbullying bill responds to Audrie Pott's suicide
- US approves California's new K-12 testing plan 28 min ago
- Albertsons parent Cerberus to buy Safeway
- Fire that injured 2 under investigation in SJ
- Lockdown lifted at Monterey Peninsula College
- Blind man survives getting run over by train
- Water pours from top of San Francisco high-rise
- Danville teen killed in Highway 24 crash identified
- Lonely Michigan boy gets surprise party on GMA
- 7 On Your Side: The dark side of green lighting
- Wheel of Fortune is coming to Northern California!
- roundup: Embassy Suites body; SJ home fire
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday