South Bay News
South Bay protester still standing outside City Hall
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A protester with "Occupy San Jose" climbed to the top of a large wall outside City Hall early Monday morning to protest the continued removal of protesters from the plaza below, police and protesters said. He remained there all day.
The man, identified by another protester as Shaun O'Kelly, climbed up during the night and was still on the wall as of noon.
Five people were arrested in the plaza for illegal camping around 3:20 a.m. today, San Jose police Officer Jose Garcia said. One was cited and released at the scene, and the other four were booked into Santa Clara County Jail, he said.
Occupy San Jose protester Peter Brown said that at least three tents were pitched outside of City Hall when he left on Sunday afternoon. He said that when he returned early this morning, O'Kelly was already on the wall.
Garcia described the wall as "decorative" and estimated it is at least two stories high.
"It's pretty tall," he said.
Garcia said it could be dangerous to try to remove the man, so police are going to let him be for now.
"We're just going to wait him out until he comes down," Garcia said.
Early this morning, the man was standing on the wall holding a sign that read, "Stand up for what you believe in." He would occasionally flip the sign to show the back, which read Knowmore.org
The man had also hung additional signs on the wall that appeared to be made out of cardboard, listing numbers of police officers and protesters.
san jose, protest, occupy wall street, south bay news
- Former church worker arrested for credit card fraud
- Mudslide causes trees to fall on power lines in Piedmont
- SF marks 108th anniversary of the 1906 earthquake
- Mt. Diablo slow to recover after fire
- Dog stabbed to death in SF's Mission District
- Police raid LA Times building after threat reports 54 min ago
- 7.2 magnitude earthquake strikes Mexico
- Family at odds with neighbors over pet chickens 54 min ago
- One fatally shot in apparent burglary in Richmond
- Arrest warrant sought for captain of sunken ferry
- 7 On Your Side helps man waiting for gem ring 53 min ago
- FREE STUFF: Cheese; Water Exercise
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday
- roundup: Coachella death; Fireworks incident at...