South Bay News
'Occupy San Jose' protester splits from group
SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- Occupy San Jose's most recognized protestor has split from the group.
Sean O'Kelly of Florida has renounced his affiliation with Occupy San Jose. He says he doesn't want anything he does to reflect on the group as a whole. O'Kelly has been perched atop a three-story wall outside city hall for the past two weeks. He now says he plans to stay there a total of ninety-nine days, to represent the 99 percent of Americans who are not wealthy.
"Sean O'Kelly spoke about being up on the wall and about how he's not really representative anymore of the San Jose Occupy movement, and that he now represents his own interests. And while he was originally motivated by things that were happening to us down here, he is now his own entity," said protester Owen Thaxton.
Police decided to let O'Kelly remain on the wall for safety reasons, but say they will arrest him as soon as he climbs down. The group says they support his decision.
san jose, occupy wall street, protest, south bay news
- SJ store owner gets $1M for selling winning ticket 47 min ago
- Family to hold prayer vigil for girl on life support
- Two cars gifted in annual East Bay holiday tradition 7 min ago
- Behind-the-scenes: Saying farewell to 'The Stick'
- Bay Bridge bolt fix running a month behind schedule 40 min ago
- SF supervisor proposes ban on botled water 21 min ago
- Georgia woman has 1 of 2 winning lottery tickets
- Hero guide dog assured good home after NY rescue
- Patriarch off 'Duck Dynasty' after gay comments 20 min ago
- Woman distracted by FB on phone falls off pier
- abcnews: Justin Bieber says 'I'm Retiring' from music 1 min ago
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events
- roundup: Stolen ATM recovered; SF shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- SF supervisor proposes ban on botled water
21 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos