South Bay News
Surfer's close encounter with whales caught on tape
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (KGO) -- Caught on tape, an amazing close encounter between whale watchers and a humpback near Santa Cruz.
A woman on a surfboard and two people in a kayak had a pair of humpbacks jump out of the water right next to them as the giants fed on anchovies.
Scientists believe weather patterns have driven fish closer to shore this year, and that's brought feeding whales with them.
Officials are concerned because it's also brought gawkers hoping to get a good look and dangerously close.
'Good Morning America' spoke with Barbara Roettger, the woman who caught the event on tape. Watch the GMA report here.
santa cruz, whale, caught on tape, south bay news
- Medical examiner: 24 dead in Oklahoma tornado
- Search continues for man after Bay to Breakers 5 min ago
- Apple's Cook faces Senate questions on taxes
- Firefighters save Vallejo man in apartment fire
- Photos: Tornado rips through Oklahoma City area
- UC hospitals say patients safe despite strike
- More than 100 gas grills put to the test 1 min ago
- Man dies after fall during Bay to Breakers party
- Norman Wielsch sentenced to 14 years in prison
- 4-alarm grass fire burns 8 acres in Orinda
- Victims hope to get money back from lending scheme
- Yahoo takes big leap with $1.1B deal for Tumblr
- roundup: Orinda fire; Obama coming to Bay Area
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Tuesday