South Bay News
Surfer's close encounter with whales caught on tape
SANTA CRUZ, Calif. (KGO) -- Caught on tape, an amazing close encounter between whale watchers and a humpback near Santa Cruz.
A woman on a surfboard and two people in a kayak had a pair of humpbacks jump out of the water right next to them as the giants fed on anchovies.
Scientists believe weather patterns have driven fish closer to shore this year, and that's brought feeding whales with them.
Officials are concerned because it's also brought gawkers hoping to get a good look and dangerously close.
'Good Morning America' spoke with Barbara Roettger, the woman who caught the event on tape. Watch the GMA report here.
santa cruz, whale, caught on tape, south bay news
- Four stabbed at bar, restaurant in San Jose
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry 15 min ago
- Pope Francis prays for peace at Easter service
- Missing fisherman's body recovered after accident
- San Francisco officer dragged by suspect getaway car
- Fairfield resident killed, boy injured after shooting
- Santa Rosa crash causes massive power outage
- Chavez gets 1st win, A's complete sweep of Astros 41 min ago
- Highway 1 reopens after major injury crash
- Boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter dies at 76
- Miss America: Don't suspend teen over prom invite
- Video: Cracked windshield forces flight to divert
- Minimalists find happiness living with less
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Sunday
- Divers recover more bodies from sunken ferry
15 min ago