South Bay News
Sexual assault suspect sought in E. San Jose
EAST SAN JOSE, Calif. (KGO) -- A warning is being issued to women in San Jose today as police continue searching for a sexual assault suspect who attacked a teenage girl on a pedestrian overpass.
Police issued the public safety warning specifically for residents in the Gramercy Place neighborhood in East San Jose, where they say the sexual assault suspect may be on the loose.
The attack happened around 6 p.m. Saturday. A 14-year-old girl and her friend were walking on a pedestrian bridge near Highway 680. A man approached the girls and asked to use a cell phone. One girl offered him hers phone and the other girl continued walking. After a while, the second girl realized she had lost track of her friend and called police to report her missing. Police called her friend's cell phone and the victim answered, saying she was still on the bridge and needed help.
When officers arrived at the scene they found the girl as well as the suspect, lingering behind her. He took off running and the officers gave chase but lost him in the Gramercy Place neighborhood.
So far, the suspect is only described as short, heavyset, and possibly in his early 30s, with light facial hair. Residents, especially females, are reminded to be aware of their surroundings, to not walk alone, to be wary of any strangers who approach, and to remember that the suspect's M.O. is to ask for a cell phone.
east san jose, san jose, crime, sex offender, police chase, south bay news
- Child support helpline takes callers to sex hotline
- Driver arrested for DUI after fiery I-580 crash
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions
- Police interview potential victims of Livermore golf pro
- Budget approved but no peace: Boehner raps right
- VIRAL VIDEO: Teen sings 'Blue Christmas'...
- Arrests made in "thrill kill" of 7-11 clerk in Milpitas
- Startup sells insurance based on how much you drive 7 min ago
- Tracking the flu -- there's an app for that! 27 min ago
- UN inspectors confirm Syria chemical attack
- Bay Area New Year's Eve fireworks and events 7 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Copper wiring theft; "Shop With a Cop"
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Friday
- Startup sells insurance based on how much...
7 min ago