South Bay News
Man arrested after pot grow operation discovered
APTOS, Calif. -- An Aptos man was arrested Monday by sheriff's deputies after a large indoor marijuana grow operation was found during a search of his home, the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office announced Friday.
Deputies arrested Thomas Speziale, 31, after serving the search warrant at his home in the 3000 block of Redwood Drive and finding more than 500 marijuana plants, more than 5 pounds of processed marijuana, $3,000 in cash, hallucinogenic mushrooms and other controlled substances, according to the sheriff's office.
Speziale was arrested at about 6 p.m. Monday on suspicion of possession for sale and cultivation of marijuana, possession of psilocybin mushrooms and possession of other controlled substances without a prescription.
Upon further inspection of Speziale's home, deputies found faulty wiring that they say posed a fire hazard because of the high amount of electricity the suspect was generating for the grow operation, the sheriff's office said.
A Santa Cruz County Planning Department code enforcement officer red-tagged the home because of its non-permitted electrical wiring, according to the sheriff's office.
Deputies also allegedly found exposed wires and drugs in areas that were easily accessible by a child living in the home.
aptos, crime, pot bust, marijuana, south bay news
- Fairfield teen speaks after infant son's nose bitten off
- Bench dedicated to honor missing teen Sierra LaMar
- Husband suspected in Castro Valley woman's death
- Man critically hurt after being hit by tour bus in SF
- 2 killed by suspected DUI driver in Santa Rosa ID'd
- Dawkins, Stanford to face New Mexico in NCAAs
- Navy's Blue Angels return to skies over San Francisco
- Man killed by Caltrain in Atherton identified
- Final words from jet came after system shutdown
- Niemi, Couture lift surging Sharks over Rangers
- Fetching 'Peabody & Sherman' tops box office
- VIRAL VIDEO: Harbaugh and walrus do push-ups
- roundup: Richmond house fire; SF stabbing
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos