South Bay News
Man arrested after pot grow operation discovered
APTOS, Calif. -- An Aptos man was arrested Monday by sheriff's deputies after a large indoor marijuana grow operation was found during a search of his home, the Santa Cruz County Sheriff's Office announced Friday.
Deputies arrested Thomas Speziale, 31, after serving the search warrant at his home in the 3000 block of Redwood Drive and finding more than 500 marijuana plants, more than 5 pounds of processed marijuana, $3,000 in cash, hallucinogenic mushrooms and other controlled substances, according to the sheriff's office.
Speziale was arrested at about 6 p.m. Monday on suspicion of possession for sale and cultivation of marijuana, possession of psilocybin mushrooms and possession of other controlled substances without a prescription.
Upon further inspection of Speziale's home, deputies found faulty wiring that they say posed a fire hazard because of the high amount of electricity the suspect was generating for the grow operation, the sheriff's office said.
A Santa Cruz County Planning Department code enforcement officer red-tagged the home because of its non-permitted electrical wiring, according to the sheriff's office.
Deputies also allegedly found exposed wires and drugs in areas that were easily accessible by a child living in the home.
aptos, crime, pot bust, marijuana, south bay news
- Fatal crash blocks lanes of I-580 in Livermore 32 min ago
- Antioch man arrested after wild, high-speed chase
- Record streak continues for Winter Spare the Air Alerts
- Consumer Reports puts AA batteries to the test
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART, unions 51 min ago
- San Jose fire crews battle one-alarm house fire
- 32 students participating in 'shop with a cop' event
- NYC college student dies during fraternity ritual 24 min ago
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Vallejo police ID two most recent homicide victims 10 min ago
- OTRC: Golden Globes 2014: Full list of nominations 59 min ago
- Winter Spare the Air called through Thursday
- roundup: Robbery suspect shot; BART dispute
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Thursday
- Federal mediator sitting down with BART,...
51 min ago
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos