South Bay News
Police arrest 250 in South Bay anti-DUI campaign
SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- More drivers are feeling the effects of having one too many drinks before getting behind the wheel this holiday season in Santa Clara County, where sheriff's deputies have arrested 243 people for driving under the influence.
Law enforcement officers throughout the county made the arrests on local roadways during an anti-DUI crackdown from Dec. 16 through Christmas Eve, according to a CHP news release.
DUI arrests during the same nine-day period last year were only slightly higher, when police netted 286 drunk driving arrests.
Police in Santa Clara County said there were no deaths as a result of DUIs on Saturday night, but that they saw two DUI-related crashes that caused minor injuries.
Drivers throughout the county can expect to see beefed-up DUI patrols and checkpoints through New Years Eve as part of the ongoing anti-drunk-driving campaign.
Police are asking the public to report drunk drivers this holiday season by calling 9-11.
DUI, crime, santa clara, south bay news
- Freeze Warning in effect for most of Bay Area 33 min ago
- Shooting victim found near school in Vallejo
- Palo Alto man says he was well-fed in North Korea
- Deep freeze grips most of United States
- Facebook considers adding "sympathize" button
- Paul Walker memorial in California draws thousands
- Smith leads Jets to 37-27 victory over Raiders
- Family asks for help in finding SF hit-and-run driver
- Man falls asleep on flight, wakes up in empty plane
- Winter Spare the Air called for Sunday and Monday
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Newlyweds accused in thrill-kill murder
- roundup: Homeless shelter program; Windsor kidnapping
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Monday
Most Viewed StoriesMost Viewed Photos