South Bay News
Driver found hiding in yard after fleeing SJ police
SAN JOSE, Calif. -- A man was arrested early this morning after fleeing a traffic stop and prompting an hours-long search of a San Jose neighborhood, a Santa Clara County sheriff's spokesman said.
A sheriff's deputy tried to pull over a Honda Civic for a vehicle code violation at about 1 a.m. in the area of Moorpark and Saratoga Avenues but the driver didn't stop, sheriff's Sgt. Jose Cardoza said.
Instead, he continued to drive slowly for a few blocks, then stopped abruptly in the right lane of Moorpark Avenue at Camina Escuela, about half a mile from the Cupertino border.
As the deputy prepared to approach the Honda, the car door opened and the driver "just starts to run," Cardoza said.
There were two other people in the Honda, and they refused to cooperate or identify the driver but one did mention that he might have a weapon, Cardoza said.
Deputies began to search the neighborhood, and called the Sunnyvale Department of Public Safety, which sent a K-9 unit to assist.
At about 4:30 a.m., they located the driver hiding near a shed in the yard of a home a couple of blocks from where he had pulled over.
Cardoza said he had suffered some scratches, perhaps while fleeing, and was taken to a hospital to be evaluated.
The sheriff's office is still working to confirm the man's identity and determine why he fled.
San Jose police assisted in the search.
san jose, SJPD, south bay news
- Water main break floods Castro Valley neighborhood
- Four people in the South Bay die due to cold weather
- North Korea deports elderly Palo Alto man
- Cal students led move toward divestment
- Craigslist ad asks to rent family for Christmas
- Local schools race to keep up with technology
- Man suspected of throwing 2 cats into bay arrested
- Make-A-Wish, Macy's team up to help Daly City girl
- New option studied for treating back pain
- SF man calls 7 On Your Side to help in luggage mixup
- Photos: Record low temperatures freeze the Bay Area
- abcnews: Fierce winds force pilots to abort landing...
- roundup: Teen struck in crosswalk; EPA shooting
- weather: Bay Area weather forecast for Saturday